Missing Files

I will start with a brief history.  I had a 3TB mybook live that ended up with a bricked hard drive.  I replaced the drive with instructions found on this forum site.  The new drive has been in working operation for approximately 2 months.  I restored a large portion of the lost date from back-ups that were on other drives.  All the restored information has accessible and useable.

I recently began reorganizing some of the video files that were placed on the drive.  I added folders, renamed files, moved files, etc.  This was done after I had added approximately 20 movies.  The next day after reorganization my PS3 would not recognize some of the video files.  I kept getting an erros saying that the files were unsupported.  Where I don’t normally find this alarming, because the ps3 does not play all types of media formats, i noticed at the top of the screen a note saying that the files had, and I am now paraphrasing, “a  http accessing error”.  I went to a my PC (windows 7 operating system) and opened the drive through a file explorer.  The files all appeared as well as the the new file structures that I had made.  I accessed one of the files that was inaccessible through the ps3 and began to play the movie at the computer.  No problems there…  Huh, I thought.

The next day my wife mentioned that none of the video files were accessible though the WD media server that we have in another room.  That night I open the mybook live software through the computer.  All files were still present.  I have had in the past, had errors with the drive not listing new files through the ps3.   I have always solved this problem by having the Mybook live software run a short diagnostic of the drive.  This is were I bagan to solve the problem.  I ran the short diagnostic and no errors were found.  Next, I noticed that I needed a firmware updated.  I started the firmware update.  At 99% complete on the download, I received a download error.  I restarted the firmware update, which sucessfully finished and installed.

I then went to view my files from the pc explorer.  This is when I found that the files structures that I had recently made were not there.  I also noted that all the the files that I had recently added were all gone.  It appeared is if the disk reverted to a state of about amonth prior.  This looked as if i had restored a safepoint.  The really odd thing, I had never created a safepoint for the drive since I had rebuilt it.  Any thoughts??

The resultant data loss is more annoying than anything.  I can re-obtain the lost data and create safepoonts, back-ups etc.  The real question is, why did my drive revert to a prior state and what happened to the data that was deleted?

Dave

Thank for sharing.

Make sure you try to reset the drive to clear any previews configuration after the firmware update.

Did you tried contacting WD Support directly.

WD Contact info:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=networking