Mavericks MBL 2T: access speed slow

I had this problem previous to upgrade to Mavericks, but update didn’t improve.   

Background: previously used Netgear router, now using ATT home 10/100 Wifi. Issue presents equally on Win XP **bleep**, Mavericks MacbookPro,  Win7 netbook.  House gets 20Megabit internet.  MBL temp OK, drive only at 5% full.  Firmware up to date with MyBookLive 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W.  

Problem:  I logged into drive via wd2go and iTunes (on two different systems at different times) and any accessing of files would meet a 30+second delay consistently.  The main iTunes Music folder has over 1000 folders and would open somewhat slower than artist’s folder with just 5 items.  Playing media in iTunes app would find the 30 second delay between songs.  Each file action finds similar long delays. 

Questions:

1- Is the slow access normal?  Could it be a MBL setup problem or just the 10/100 ethernet speed on the att router?

2 - How do I check access speed between Mac and MBL? 

3 - (ashamed to ask this one) Some forums mentioned ‘connected directly to MBL’.  Is there a way to connect the cloud drive directly to my MacbookPro?   Perhaps an ethernet crossover cable or  a magical elf ?  

Follow up Question worth 5 bonus points:

1a- If it is the 10/100 crappitycrapcrap att router, is there any way to boost the speed between devices?  I have mac, pc, mobile, and ps3 devices that are eager to share the media.  

Help me Obi Wan. You are my only hope.  (Either you or Obi Juan.)

it seems you have quite a few things to debug, my suggestion to begin with… keep it simple and baby steps…

• Leave wd2go app out of the equation. All within the LAN, try playing the files via regular shares from all devices if possible, see if it works. Also, you do not mention if all systems are hardwired, or wireless, and if wireless, what protocol

1- Is the slow access normal?  Could it be a MBL setup problem or just the 10/100 ethernet speed on the att router?

I have a 10/100 network as well. Stream music/movies/pics to Andriod phones, 3 laptops and one HTPC just fine

Verify you are conneted at 100, either check your router or check the back MBL LEDs and compare with manual

2 - How do I check access speed between Mac and MBL?

You can try “activity Monitor” on the MAC, it won’t be exact, but can provide a close calculation

3 - (ashamed to ask this one) Some forums mentioned ‘connected directly to MBL’.  Is there a way to connect the cloud drive directly to my MacbookPro?   Perhaps an ethernet crossover cable or  a magical elf ?  

Yes, two options:

- Static IPs on both

- Just plug them see if they see each other

No need for crossover cables, that is so 90s!!! Hahaha! You will need a CAT5E or newer cable though

And last you could try to buy another router and/or add a giga switch. BTW, how was the performance when you had the netgear router? If it was good, you might be able to still use it as a switch vs a gateway.

Shabuboy, Thanks for the response.

All devices, except for the MBL, are wireless.  I just tried iTunes on an old pc desktop running xp and there was no speed issue.   Seems to be the wifi.  

Next troubleshooting step?   

troubleshoot the wifi. Some of the things to look for:

• Signal strength

• Change the wireless channel

Also do some internet searches how to troubleshoot it, here are a couple I found:

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/wifimobileconnectivity/tp/troubleshoot-wireless-problems-dropped-signals.htm

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57346631-263/diagnosing-and-addressing-wi-fi-signal-quality-problems/

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/signal_strength.htm

The wifi is strong for all other devices in the house (pc, mac, android, iOS, printers).  The long delay is present even when only one wifi device is active.   

I connected via an old xp wired machine and the speed was  a little better.  I connected Macbook to ethernet router also and speed was also a little better, but still met with long delays that make opening folders with many items very painful.  

Does MyBookLive  HAVE to have a gigabit switch to wifi?