Managing iTunes library on WD MyBook Live: help!

I moved my iTunes media to an external hard drive (WD MyBook Live) and have been able to access the music from multiple computers in my house. So far, so good. But the problem is that iTunes (v.11) does not allow me to delete any of these songs (such as duplicates, which I want to get rid of), or create genius playlists from the songs, or use the “Show Duplicate Items” command, when I am connected to the library on the external hard drive. Can anyone help? I have no trouble accessing and deleting the music files on the hard drive when I access them via Windows Explorer, so it doesn’t seem to be a permissions problem, but iTunes won’t let me do these things – which is a problem because I need to delete a *lot* of duplicates. Thanks.

Have you reached Apple support already?

http://www.apple.com/support/

As you stated it could be an issue on the latest version of iTunes.

Go to iTunes preferences, clicked advanced and browse to your iTunes media folder and click ok. It should fix the broken link and you will be able to add / delete again.

Riscon wrote:

Go to iTunes preferences, clicked advanced and browse to your iTunes media folder and click ok. It should fix the broken link and you will be able to add / delete again.

Good point. In the early days of iTunes I decided to move my iTunes folder to an external drive.  All worked fine until I forgot to attach the drive.  Then iTunes went back to the default folder on C drive.  A few times of this mess up, and I decided to add a second internal drive to the PC for the iTunes folder and other data.  No more problems.

This could also happen with the My Book Live, of course.  Especially if it is not on 24/7.  Suggest the OP check for the folder being “rejuvunated” on the C drive.  “Lost” iTunes files can be found this way, and of course, they need to be reasigned to the external drive.

I have a dup of my iTunes folder I keep on my WD player’s attached drive.  Also acts as a backup, too.  Main iTunes folder is still kept on the PC’s second internal drive.  iTunes needs to find it every time; no exceptions!