Macbook Air Mybook Live Issue

I’ve got something strange going on, and I’m not sure if its an issue with my Macbook Air (MBA) or Mybook Live (MBL).  I’ve got a folder of shared videos on my MBL, and a folder of shared videos.  I can access both of these with ease via the WD 2go app on my iPad.  No issues with speed.  I can access the shared videos folder with ease on my MBA.  This folder is filled mostly with home videos taken with my cell phone, and they stream fine.

The problem is when I try to access my shared folder from my MBA.  It takes forever for the files to appear on my screen.  When I try to open an individual photo, I get the little spinning circle appear on my my curser.  It spins for a while.  Sometime the picture opens up, sometimes it doesn’t.  I literally cannot navigate through my photos because it is too slow. Something is amiss here, and I can’t figure it out.  I tend to think it may be something with my MBA because I can access stuff fine through my iPad.  I can access the shared video folder fine with the MBA, it’s just the photo folder which is giving me grief.

If anyone has any suggestions on what this problem might be, I’d reallt appreciate it.

Hello and welcome funkeruski,

I’m confused when you mention " I’ve got a folder of shared videos on my MBL, and a folder of shared videos." The second shared videos folder, do you also have it on the My Book Live, or you are referring to a shared folder from your PC/Mac. 

Sorry. My bad. I have a folder of shared videos and a folder of shared photos on my MBL. I can’t seem to access the photos.

Sorry for the delay, are you trying to access the photos folder using WD2Go or by mapping the shared photos folder? If you are using the WD2go webpage, the transfer speed will depend on how fast is your internet connection. 

I can access them fine with the WD2go app on the iPad. When I try to access them on my MacBook air (within my network at home) that’s where I have problems.

Also,I know with other hard drives, they have to be specially formatted to use with Macs as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or FAT32. Nothing I saw indicated that I needed to reformat the My book live drive, and have not done that. Could the formatting of the drive be an issue? Does that need to be done?

Hi funkeruski, please check your private messages. 

Hey there,

I’ve got the same problem accessing the WD my book live with my MBA. very very slow.

My question to you, did you find any sollutions to ths problem?

I really hope to hear ftom you!

Try mounting the share in Finder using AFP Go->Connect to Server

I was having problems accessing the photos saved as individual JPEGS.  I went ahead and just moved the whole iphoto library of photos to the Mybook Live.  I can access them now on my computer via iphoto, but access via the ios and android app does not work.  That’s not important to me so I have just left it that way.