Mac book cannot detect the Mybook

Hi,

Recently got a mac book and trying to connect it to the Mybook. However, after downloading the software and running it, it will not detect it. 

The drive is currently installed in the windows laptop - do i need to unistall in on there first or add it via the dashboard?

Thanks,

Graham

Try Mapping the drive manually.

How to map a WD network drive on a Mac

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2686

Tried mapping the drive as explained and no joy.

The drive was originally installed on my windows laptop so not sure if that is the problem? Should I uninstall on the windows laptop and reinstall on the Mac?

Assume this would not result in no data loss?

you don’t need the WD software on your Mac to access the MBL. You can access teh MBL on your Mac through Network on Finder.

I have managed to access it but unable to write to it. Can only pull files of it which is not ideal!

Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

^^^^^^^^

bump 

Any other suggestions?

Do I uninstall from Windows and install on Mac?

Actually, my advice is to get rid of the MBL as quickly as possible. I have had issues with an MBL that has NEVER worked properly. I used it as an archive but I now realize I can’t even connect to it any longer.

So, whatever you do, do NOT write anything to this product, just get rid of it as quickly you can and buy something else, other wise you WILL lose files, you WILL end up in trouble - just look at the number of people here with problems that WD cannot resolve…

Sorry to break the news, I’m only being honest.

if you keep only one copy of your files anywhere, you have a chance to lose them, no matter what you use.

my $.02… The best use for MBL is to do backups. Also, this is a NAS device, not a USB drive. There will be a learning curve if you never used one before.

Personally, for the price, it is one of the best Home NAS I ever owned…

Some fun reading:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-33088_39-57556308/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/