MYBOOKLIVE throughput issues

I have my 1.5TB MYBOOKLIVE directly connected to my gigabit wireless router. When I transfer files using copy and paste or cut and paste I only get about 2.5 - 3 mg or less transfer rate from my wireless connected laptop.

It’s liveable to some point but I would like to backup all the laptops / desktops in the house to this drive and the backup software takes way to long or times out.

Any one else get better throughput rates?

1.5TB Mybooklive .> wired direct to Netgear WNDR4500 N900 wireless GB router.

HP laptop wireless connected to router.

Thanks in advance.

I think the current speeds on 802.11n are something like 300mbps (that is bits not bytes) also don’t quote me on the standard it maybye more or even less but you can look up the standard at ieee.org if you need to know. So your problem is your wireless connection. If you really need the extra speed I’d advise switching over to a wired connection I get close to 50 MegaBytes using a wired connection and I get like 10MB on a wireless. You might also want to look up the specs on your laptops network card and see where there at. Your speed will always be as fast as the slowest part on your system/network.

1 Like

Theagustin is correct. While your router has a theoretical throughput approaching 100MB/sec (bytes) on wireless dual channel, this can be limited by a number of factors. The footnotes at this link discuss this-

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/WNDR4500.aspx#two

Also, as mentioned, the speed of your laptop’s wireless can be the limit. Your best results will almost certainly be through a wired connection, which fortunately, you do have available. I have gotten the very best throughput to a MBL using wired FTP. Check out the free Filezilla to try this out.

1 Like

In my experience the default drivers that ship with laptops are generally **bleep** for wireless cards. Find out the chipset / card and have a look here  Station Drivers

Also in your router make sure you have the wireless link speed at 300mbps and also try adjusting your channel.

1 Like

2.5 - 3 mg is the max you will get for a Wireless G connection.

See this…  http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374

And even if you go wired, you will not get the full speed. Or you might, it all depends on your network and hardware. The best I heard is 60-80. With average 25-35.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321-3.html

Article is a bit old, but still applies. Wish I could see one with SSD and newer hardware.

1 Like

Here are some relatively idealized conditions, first, Downloading from a MBLD, over Gbit, to a 1 TB Velociraptor on a SATA 3.0 connection, using Filezilla FTP. Measured with the Networx Speed Meter. Total 516 files, mostly camera RAW files of about 17 MB, except 1- 383 MB Adobe Bridge CacheT file, and 2- TIF files of 232 MB, and 72 MB. The Current Transfer Rate had started to drop off as the download was ending. The main body of the transfer was 10 simultaneous FTP threads.

Download:   
Current Transfer Rate    81.5 MB/s
Average Transfer Rate    97.9 MB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate    113 MB/s

Upload: (simultaneous)

Current Transfer Rate    243 KB/s
Average Transfer Rate    323 KB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate    390 KB/s
Received    10.1 GB
Sent    33.4 MB
Total Data Transferred    10.2 GB
Since    9/16/2013 9:18:22 PM

Elapsed time: 00-01-46

Transfering the same block of files back to the MBLD (Uploading)  from the Velociraptor. I can’t be sure of the effects of data remaining in various caches from the previous download.

Download: (Simultaneous)

Current Transfer Rate    64.8 KB/s
Average Transfer Rate    70.7 KB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate    190 KB/s

Upload:

Current Transfer Rate    43.8 MB/s
Average Transfer Rate    46.1 MB/s
Maximum Transfer Rate    55.9 MB/s
Received    15.8 MB
Sent    10.3 GB
Total Data Transferred    10.3 GB
Since    9/16/2013 9:38:11 PM

Elapsed time: 00-03-49

Reads from the NAS are ALWAYS faster than writes.

As mentioned, this is an idealized situation, with almost all the traffic being quite large files, with a bit of housekeeping and background chatter, as it were. (These numbers are for everything passing through the PC’s NIC during the time period.) NIC is an Intel 82583V on an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z.

A normal mix of backup files would come nowhere near these numbers. It would have cut them considerably if I had included the 2 KB .XMP metadata files associated with each image file.