MBL works fine, Green Light blinking forever

Hi everyone,

I copied media files to my MBL over a week ago and noticed my MBL has not stopped blinking (green light).

DLNA server option in the dashboards shows no scanning is taking place.

I am worried the non-stop blinks means the mbl cpu is in continuous operation and my reduce the lifespan of the MBL.

Any suggestions guys?

would appreciate!

Try rebooting the drive as something may have got hung up during the scan

i have done that already and even reset.

regards

When you SSH in using PuTTY, what does the CPU usage look like? Is there a process called mediacrawler running?

In PuTTY simply type

and hit enter

top.jpg

pls open link below incase you cant view the picture in previous post

Yep mediacrawler is running so it’s still indexing something

Oh ok.

what line helps you decide if media crawler is still indexing…for future reference?

The first line under the white bar that has the PID 9548. Under the command column you can see it is mediacrawler. Under the TIME+ column it shows the cumulative CPU time which the process and children of the process have used and that appears to be 4 hours and 8 minutes and is using 6.6 % cpu. The process actually seems to be in a sleep state though if you look under the S column the status is S so that means the process should be sleeping.

So taking all this into account, I’m not sure why your green light is still flashing as mediacrawler is sleeping. Strange indeed…

If the PID for mediacrawler is still 9548 

In PuTTY you could type

kill 9548

and see if the green LED stops blinking

Then reboot and see if it starts blinking again…

Thanks Honourable!

I have done exactly as adviced…stucked with the constant mbl blinking, quite worrying, I must admit.

Did the LED stop blinking?

dms_smm and mediacrawler are still running.

It’s still indexing your media.

Tony why would the LED be blinking if those 2 processes are in a sleep state?

Exactly my thoughts…

D and S are both “sleeping” processes; the difference is that “D” cannot be interrupted, and “S” can.

D is “usually” waiting for an I/O call to be answered.  S can be waiting for some other call to another process (or IO).

The difference is primarily that S can be interrupted through signals (KILL / HUP, etc) but D ain’t going nowhere until the call is answered.

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/linux/9781593272203/signals-advanced-features/interruptible_and_uninterruptible_proces

More on the topic:

When a process calls for disk resources (either to read or write data from/to the disk) it will immediately be put “to sleep” by the kernel so the CPU can go do something else while the kernel waits for the disk to move to the proper location, read the data into buffer, and send it to the kernel.   Then the kernel “wakes” the process and feeds it its data.

dms_smm and mediacrawler are almost entirely disk-intensive, so it’s actually pretty unusual to see them “awake.”

Tony, are you concluding it is still indexing and I shouldnt do anything about it?:smiley:

Yup…

Hi guys, hope it’s ok to tag along on this thread, since symptoms seem to be similar.

I have 4 2TB MBL’s.  All configured the same - no services running (no Twonky, no iTunes), no remote access.  I just use them for backup

Only one of them is peculiar.  Couple days ago it disappeared from the network, and I couldn’t access it until  I rebooted - neither by dashboard or by mapping the drive.  If I remember correctly, the green light was flashing.  It did this once before a few months ago.

After I rebooted, it seems ok, but the green light is flashing, about 1-2 per second. 

My other 3 MBL’s are ok, and they are all loaded about the same, so what’s going on with this one?

Any ideas?

Thanks.