MBL stuck on yellow light

Good day all,

I have a clients MBL and its now stuck on the yellow light when turned on and cannot be accessed by any of the available means.

The unit is still under warranty and can be swapped by the reseller in south africa, however my client needs the data on the drive and it will be lost if just returned to reseller?

Is there any way it can be retrived without voiding the warranty?

Is there any fix for the “stuck on yellow” issue as i have found no real solution here or in any other forum?

THe MBL probably did a auto firmware upgrade and failed in the middle of it. This has happened to many people.  Best solution is to use a debrick guide from this forum to reinstall the firmware.  The data will not be lost.

1 Like

Thx for the idea but the only guides i found require opening the case up which would void the warranty?

Any idea on a guide you may know of that can fix the firmware without opening the case?

To recover files by opening the case and debrick MBL = Void warranty. No other way around it.

Othewise, RMA it but chances are WD will not recover your files. Talk to them see where you get.

Also, some people hate me for it, since I do mention it quite often, but the best usage for MBL is for backups, not single copies.

Some reading if you care…

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-33088_39-57556308/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/

best line under “BACKUPS”…

Home users might not need redundancy but they definitely need backup, which basically means keeping separate copies of data in multiple places so that if something happens to one place you can turn to another. The more copies of data you have, the safer it is.

Same here. It stuck on yellow. It worked for first time, after that it is always yellow. Does that reset button of any use to get back to original state. I hardly used this.

Thanks