MBL constantly dissapears from network causing backups to fail

Hi,

I bought a MBL 3TB a couple weeks back to use as a wireless solution for both TimeMachine and to have another partition to store files on since my computer drive is near full.  I want to back up from that other partition (guess it’s called a share) to my cloud backup which is Spider Oak.

Whenever I want to access a file on my mac from the MBL, I need to click on GO —> Network and then wait for the computer to login to the drive which can take from 5 to 30 seconds.  That is very annoying but the underlying issue is that it keeps logging out, dissapearing from Finder, causing Time Machine to not find the drive, Spider Oak to not find the drive, and another program I am using to make automatic backups every time I save to another share (Scrivener). 

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?  I’m sure such a topic exists in the forum somewhere but I couldn’t find one.  My apologies if I missed it…

Thanks everyone!

Hello, once you map the My Book Live you should be able to go to the finder window and access it from there. If you are having disconnection problems, you can try setting a static IP for it. See the links below for more information. 

How to map a WD network drive on a Mac

How to configure a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo NAS drive with a Static IP 

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn’t done this before through ‘go’ – ‘connect to network’ but must have done it some other way cause I had Finder access.  I followed a suggestion of another post/reply and set the shares to ‘start up’ when I log in.  Anyhow, when I click on the network in Finder it takes up to half a minute to show me the contents of the shares.  Why does it take this long?  It would seem like a headache for me to set a static IP address as I don’t know the settings and living in Indonesia, getting the info won’t be easy.  Any other ideas why the drive is so darn slow to respond to anything?

Thanks,

Bartek

Hi again, you can try some of the suggestion on the link below to improve your connection speed. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5736