MBL and public share help

Hi all,

I’m hoping that someone will take the time to help me with a few questions.

I did a reset on my MBL (destroy data) as my shares got a bit out of hand, and decided the best route to go

would be to start fresh. It ran fine… Here’s where I’m having trouble…

I’ve a laptop, and a desktop on our home network. I started with running fresh backups from Windows (both machines are

runningWindows 7 Professional ). One backup ran to the Smartware share, and the other went to Timemachine Backup.

How do I know which backup is for which computer?

I sent copies of files to what I thought were shares that I created.  Turns out that these files ended up in the public share

on MBL. It appears that I am unable to delete these files. I’m not sure that I can move them either. Can someone tell me

how ( in simple terms please, I’ve browsed the forum, and most of what is posted here is above my understanding…)

how to either move these files out of the public share, and into the correct shares, or delete them from the public share,

and walk me through the CORRECT way to send copies of the files to the correct shares?

I set our MBL up a while ago and cannot for the life of me figure out how I did this… getting old.

So please take pity on me, and be gentle…it’s been a long week already… except for our Chicago Blackhawks :laughing:

Thanks in advance !!

Mike

Hi Mike, what backup program are you using? Smartware, Windows backup, or another third party program?

Hello,

Using Windows backup on both computers.

Mike

Hi, Windows backup has the option to select the location to save the backup. From the Set backup window, you should be able to see the option to Browse the MBL and select the folder where you would like to do the backup. 

Do you have a Mac? They are better about deleting files that Windows cannot.

If you don’t you can do it through SSH… it is probably a good idea to enable SSH anyways, because sometimes these MBLs have issues that can only be solved through the shell.

Go to the UI and change your browser from pointing at

http://mybooklive/UI/#

to

http://mybooklive/UI/ssh

and enable ssh.

Unless someone else give your better steps, hit me up when you have this enabled and I will walk you through deleting the files.

Thank you for the response…

I feel pretty stupid posting this, but…

I don’t know how to do what you have suggested.

Mike

Well a quick google search got me able to enable ssh…

Looking for the next steps to delete or move the public files.

Thanks

Mike