MBL : Yellow sign exclamation in Device Manager

Hi,

I am using Windows 8 Pro 64bit, and there is a yellow sign exclamation device manager.

This is still happening even after last firmware update a few days ago that was said to address issue with windows 8.

I know there have been several threads more or less about this, but I can’t find which really match my issue and which solves the problem.

Sometime the MBL would be unable to be accessed, and I have to restart everything to enable access.

Can anyone shed a light on this ?

Hi,

In Device Manager, right click on he exclamation and then choose uninstall, reboot the computer and then go to “Network”,  right click on the My Book Live and chose install.

1 Like

Any insight as to why it does this? Just curious.

Since last wd network drives update from windows 8 update, there are no longer exclamation marks at device manager. But the main problem persists, when you startup windows, it took a while for MBL to be able to be accessed. First few times, unable to connect.

Wd staff please look into this quickly. Windows 8 pro x64 is very common nowadays. If you don’t repair this quickly you may come up with a lot of unhappy customers.

My thoughts is that the MBL is asleep.  It takes a while for it to wake up & when the MBL goes to sleep, the computer thinks it is not accessible as there is a red check across the drive until one access it.

Something similar happens on win7 with my usb3 (microsoft’s  driver) external drive as that also goes to sleep & takes a while for winamp’s dialogue to let me select the next folder to play.

One other thing that seems to be fixed with the “later” win7 patches is that autoplay no interferes when autoplay is “disabled” (win7 just ignored it).  Now, a backup of my media on the MBL to the usb3 drive no longer stops with errors as the drive/directory or file couldn’t not be found due to autoplay popup.

I also had the feeling problem was this MBl is asleep. And it takes a while to wake up.

But why when I access it from WD2Go it is instaneous ?

Also, why does this not happen on the first few days of the MBL ?

This only happens after this MBL has been operating at my home for a few days.

Recently, I had to access the UI in order to be able to wake it up and access it…

SultanBrunei wrote:

I also had the feeling problem was this MBl is asleep. And it takes a while to wake up.

But why when I access it from WD2Go it is instaneous ?

Also, why does this not happen on the first few days of the MBL ?

This only happens after this MBL has been operating at my home for a few days.

Recently, I had to access the UI in order to be able to wake it up and access it…

Don’t know about WD2Go as I never had instaneous access for the “1st time”/open/startup access from my devices or computers except when the “green” happen to be lit on occassion but not always.

You have a puzzling problem.  I just installed my pcie usb3 adapter from prior use on the previous motherboard without usb3 ports.  Finally read the “manual” for the usb3 pcie & a statement caught my eye: “the power connector doesn’t need to be connected BUT if you occassionally lose connections then it should be connected to the power supply.  Windows occassionally lose the usb connections” 

The advice proved correct as I connected the power & when I ran richcopy on the jazz music directory from the MBL to the usb3 drive, I didn’t see any “device not ready” errors or path “not found”.  Just all the files that wasn’t copied/backed-up were copied; had to run richcopy for all the other media directories to make sure that everything was backed up to the usb3 drive.  I was “lucky” in that nearly files were backed up when I had the previous motherboard & used the pcie usb3 adapter.

Won’t be bothering to use the MSI motherboard usb3 ports much as don’t believe that a separated power is being supplied to the Intel chipset for the usb3 and don’t believe microsoft will fix windows.  microsoft took over the usb3 driver development & they don’t work on my board; only “suggestion” from microsoft or anyone is to use the manufacturer’s drivers which are no not available for win8.

I think I may have a new conclusion on this subject. I am sure now this “few access tries to enable access to MBL” is not because the device is in a sleep state and we need to wake it up, or it happens simply because MBL need time to wake up. When I access the mbl over network to a windows 7, iPad, mac, when ‘mybooklive’ as a network device is accessed. The moment it is being accessed any time of the day, that moment MBL will feed you back with data and folders you need. This happens whether the light is blue or green. Doesnt matter. Anytime of the day.