MBL Safepoint Backup Info Required

I am considering buying a 1.5TB USB 2.0 Drive that can be used as a backup (safepoint) drive to my 1TB MBL, and I have a few questions:

1. Does the safepoint drive need to be connected all the time (i.e. once its backed up, can I disconnect the safepoint drive) and can I disconnect/connect as and when I want to do a backup?

2. Can the same safepoint drive be used to backup 1 or more MBL’s without overwriting my data? (my parents have a MBL and I was wondering if I could use my safepoint drive to create an image of their drive without affecting my data?)

3. Once its done a full backup, does it only backup new/changed files from then on? So, if I do another safepoint backup in a few months, will it only backup the new/changed files at that point, or will it do a full backup each time?

My router (TP-Link WDR3600) has two USB 2.0 ports that can be configured to use Samba Share, and im wanting to take advantage of it.

Thanks!

Hello, 

1. No, you can disconnect the external hard drive once the backup is complete and connect it again when you want to do another backup. 

2. Yes, you can backup the files from several My Books and also manually name each one of the Safepoints. 

3. Once the first backup is created only the new files will be copied. 

For more information you can check page 86 of the manual. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705065.pdf#page=91

Thanks for the info.

However, my MBL cant find the new drive thats attached to my router. Ive got a USB 2.0 1.5TB drive attached to my TP-Link WDR3600 router, samba share has been activated, and I can see the share within Windows, but when the MBL scans the network, it doesnt find the drive.

Ive tried stopping and starting the samba share, rebooting my MBL, and rebooting the router doesnt help either. The drive is formatted as NTFS and not Fat32 as I have files over 4.5GB in size. 

Does anybody have any ideas? I dont have access to any other NAS drives, so using USB2.0 through my router is the only option. 

I am running a slightly old firmware because I dont want to upgrade without a safepoint to fall back on incase anything goes wrong, and I cant do a safepoint without the MBL finding my drive! Catch 22!

Thanks!

Lightingman2003 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

However, my MBL cant find the new drive thats attached to my router. Ive got a USB 2.0 1.5TB drive attached to my TP-Link WDR3600 router, samba share has been activated, and I can see the share within Windows, but when the MBL scans the network, it doesnt find the drive.

Ive tried stopping and starting the samba share, rebooting my MBL, and rebooting the router doesnt help either. The drive is formatted as NTFS and not Fat32 as I have files over 4.5GB in size. 

Does anybody have any ideas? I dont have access to any other NAS drives, so using USB2.0 through my router is the only option. 

I am running a slightly old firmware because I dont want to upgrade without a safepoint to fall back on incase anything goes wrong, and I cant do a safepoint without the MBL finding my drive! Catch 22!

Thanks!

Try mapping the USB drive to your PC and then start safepoint. Sometimes this works because it gets broadcast on the network. Also be sure your network Workgroup is the same in the MBL as it is for your PC