MBL Not showing under Network

Hi,

I have just installed MBL 1tb for a customer. Its connected to a netgear (DG834G) router. Connected to this router is a windows vista business pc and windows 7 home premium (SP 1) pc.

Installation (WD TV Live) and setup on vista pc was straight forward and no problems faced.

On win 7 , I cannot see the ‘MyBookLive’ under ‘Network’, does not show at all. I’m able to see the MBL by entering ip address in browser.

I’ve been through this forum for possible solutions, the WINDOWS network discovery is on, check firewall ports, disabled firwall, checked services, workgroups are the same. Ran the application WD Link, and came back saying no storage device detected. Tried mapping but windows will not let me do it.  Nothing seems to enable me to get MBL visble under win 7 for me to complete the installation and setup

Since win 7 cannot see the MBL, i cannot get any of the WD software to install.

can anyone point in the right direction to kick win 7 HP and get it to see the MBL.

You mention you tried “entering ip address in browser”.  If that was an browser such as FF, IE or Chrome and still did not find it.I would try the following, all by IP.

• try pinging it. If fails, verify they both belong to the same network.

• if both belong to the same network, verify one does not belong to the router/FW DMZ.

• Also verify W7 has internet access or can even ping the Vista machine.

An update, did a remote connection to client in order to try and resolve issues, I’ve found that the problem lies with the way pc’s have been setup. 

Vista PC, ipconfig (removed non-essential bits) is:- 

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: 

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : 
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G PCI Adapter 

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes 
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes 
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred) 
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled 

Windows 7 Home Premium:- 

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: 

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : 
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes 
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes 
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.3(Preferred) 
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.2 
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.2 
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled 

I’ve asked the office Manager to provide me details of who and how the office network has been setup and password details of netgear router. 

Once i have these then i should be able to crack the problem.

Thought so… it makes sense now… The router is an ADSL with no wireless capabilities. So you have to different networks, since it seems they connected a wireless router or AP as well. So one machine is wire connected to the  DG834G while the other one is wireless.