MBL 2tb green light, never goes to standby mode

Hello guys,

i have the same problem as many others and cant find a solution for this. My MBL stays with the green light (not blinking) even if i’m not using it. It never goes to standby. I have it connected to an airport express station. On the airport express i also have the sonos bridge connected. So the only devices that have access to the MBL are my macbook and the sonos system. Over night the sonos was inactive and the macbook was shut down. In the morning it was still green. The weird thing is that i have the same configuration in my other home, and when sonos i inactive for 10 minutes the MBL is going to standby mode. What is wrong with this one? 

Any help? I went throught the settings on the dashboard, everything seems to be ok.

Your MBL must be update (firmware).

Disconnect all share folders and ready!!!

You can to do a test:

Power on MBL a leave it disconnect.

my MBL is updated to the latest firmware.
what do you mean by disconnect all shared folders?

Logout from networks drive…

No maps MBL to windows…

I found a better solution, WD Support still has not answerd why I have to use this sort of workaround:

Connect to your WBL using ssh root@IP-Adress

enter the command “testparm” to see all samba relevant options, in the global section I noticed the following entry:

passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd

In my case this was the culprit, causing periodic green light flashes. With this option active smbd is reading /etc/samba/smbpasswd every few seconds. The drive can not go into standby, since this file is not copied to the ramdrive in /tmp using ramlog.

I disabled the entry in /etc/samba/smb-global.conf and restarted samba (/etc/init.d/samba restart). Now standby  works fine after about 15 Minutes of inactivity (means: no green light flashes caused by something else like the mediacrawler or smb share activity), and if you have standby enabled in your Webinterface. Make sure to logout your ssh session before it goes into standby. It will wake up otherwise due to the logout touching some files outside the ramdrive in /tmp.

The passdb backend line must have a reason, I don’t know why WD is using it. In my Ubuntu Desktop I never saw this line in their smb.conf. I still hope WD support will respond to my ticket and clear things up.

Try it this helps, if not you can revert it easely by un-commenting the line again…

The solution works if you only have public share(s).

If you have private shares you can not log in anymore to them → because you delete the reference to the stored credentials.

WD should solve this! Or do some one has a solution for this problem/bug.