MBL 2To transfer rate slow as my grandmother

Dear members,

I know this is again a topic about slow transfer rate, but my searches on forum didn’t help so far.

My settings :

MBL2To wired to a DIR 655

Mac Book Pro with Mac Snow Leopard, ethernet and wireless

Here are my transfer rates from mac to NAS, tested with a 200Mb file:

wireless transfer : 5Mb/s

wired transfer : 10Mb/s

To be compared with my other NAS LaCie networkspace 1To

wireless transfer : 2.2Mb/s

wired transfer : 5.5Mbs

Good point : MBL is better that LaCie (that’s why I bought the MBL to be clear). But this is unfortunately not satisfying compared to what I could expect, especially because my computer is almost freezing when transfering file.

Since both NAS have transfer rate issues, there may be a problem with router but everything looks perfectly set.

I disabled all services on MBL settings page (remote access, itunes, …)

I checked activity monitor, and Finder activity % jumps from 1 to 17 when transfering file.

Another point: access from appleTV looks fine. I can read music, videos.

So, my question is : why my MBL or my network is so slow?

Thanks for any tips that could save me time.

Best regards

Because the Apple TV seems fine this seems to indicate an issue with the Mac itself…Do you have a PC or another Mac you can test with?

1 Like

Hi Ardvark, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test with another computer for the moment.

AppleTV seems fine but I didn’t try to write on it. I will synch my appleTV with itunes to test but do you have any clue how I can monitor transfer rate?

Best regards

Theres software out there (just do a google search) that will monitor your transfer rates and evaluate whats going on in your network.

One other thing you could try is to take the MBL to a friends place and try it on another network - if the same kind of issue is seen than most likely its an issue with the drive- otherwise it backs up the original theory that the issue is with the Mac.

I had downloaded trial version of path finder, that’s why I could give transfer rates when writing file from Finder. But I don’t see how I can monitor transfer rate to appleTV (unless I set ftp services on appleTV, but this is too much time consuming as I’d have to hack it).

I just eliminated DIR 655 router from the list. I wired my MBL and my Mac to my broadband modem that is a router also, and the transfer rates are the same.

I guess the mac could be the problem. But I don’t have any clue why. Hope you can figure a solution out of this.

Best regards

[Edit] Just realised that the freezing concerns only my wireless mouse. Using touchpad is fine. Another reason to think this is all about my mac