MBL 2TB Twonky Server running, will not load dashboard

I have been using my 2t MBL as a backup for my 1t MBL, with the twonky server disabled. 

It has been recognized on the network with a public and software share. 

I have decided to activate it as a cloud for my media, but it will no longer load the dashboard. 

It also isn’t detected using the discovery app. 

Same results under win7, XP and XP Pro machines, as well as iPad and iPhone and Android devices.

I finally got twonky to restart, and it is seen as a media server only. Twonky allows me to scan those directories I want to share. 

I can access the twonky server using the IP:9000, but the IP/UI refuses to load. 

The green light has been blinking for a few weeks. 

No takers?

Have tried unbricking procedure, but no change. Was able to copy data to an external drive. Next step will be destructive debrick.

There really should be a more dependable way to force an OS rebuild to working defaults.

Currently, still able to run twonky server, but still no access to the dashboard, computer can’t map drives and the only way to access data is to remove the drive and read it in a pc from Linux.

I don’t think the destructive debrick will produce any better results. The non-destructive debrick completely over-writes the 2 OS partitions with a fresh factory image.

It’s possible something went wrong during the debrick process. The debrick script should have enabled SSH access for you now though so you might want to try debricking again from PuTTY or Terminal by following this guide and see if it yields any better results. Use guide 2 or 3 from the link as guide 1 requires dashboard access

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/m-p/481588#M15044

The problem seems to be DHCP and the dashboard not allowing the 169.254.9.233 that it defaults to.  

If i could get it to limp to the dashboard, I could reinstall the firmware, or manipulate it from a browser.

If I could find how to make it a static address, I could do that via SSH and Winscp

I am not sure I can maintain a SSH session on a destructive script operation.

Again, Twonky server and 169.254.9.233:9000 fully cooperate, as well as SSH to 169.254.9.233.  

The MBL cloud setup will see the drive at 169.254.9.233 and allow me to setup a cloud account, but never sends the email.

The WD Link don’t see the drive.

The Win7 machine doesn’t see the drive

A Win XP sees the drive and server at 169.254.9.233, allow invoking Twonky, rejects invoking dashboard.

I am sending this from the browser inside the rescue OS, and preparing to try to debrick yet again.

All partitions have been deleted prior to debrick.

Debrick, so far, in the last 3 tries has errored out prior to finishing.  I will try to capture the errors this time

All I want to do is reinstall the OS and WD routines to restore it to a new condition, as if I had just implemented a new drive.

The last 2 times, I used Gparted to delete the partitons.  They were sucessfully created by the debrick script.  

The machine has to be rebooted every time the script fails on a mb0 error.

Trying agian…

There is something else we can try if it fails again. It worked for another user recently on a 2TB MBL

1. Download virgin disk image (02.11.09-053) (171MB) from
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9bqu8r1m4k84lfh

2. Extract with 7-zip and you should have a file called mybook.img
    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

3. Format an 8GB+ thumbdrive or external usb hard drive to NTFS and copy mybook.img to it

4. Boot SystemRescueCd

5. In terminal type the commands below (Make sure you change SDB1 (For the thumbdrive or usb hard drive) and SDA (for the MBL hard drive) to whatever they show up as in GPARTED)

mkdir /mnt/mybook
mount -t ntfs /dev/ sdb1 /mnt/mybook
dd if=/mnt/mybook/mybook.img of=/dev /sda bs=1M

1. Look for any errors in the terminal window (output should look similar to below)
    4700+0 records in
    4700+0 records out
    4928307200 bytes (4.9 GB) copied, 185.112 s, 26.6 MB/s

2. Now open GParted from the System Rescue Cd and find the MyBookLive Drive

Extend the data partition to use all of the space on your drive and click the apply button up top

You have to do this because the image is from a 1TB MBL so the data partition will come up short on larger drives

1. Try booting the drive again without putting it back in the case

2. You MAY have to do a Quick Factory restore to format the partition (I’m not sure on this)

Also make sure the data partition block size is 65536 otherwise you will have performance issues

To check this SSH in and type

tune2fs -l /dev/sda4 | grep -i 'block size'

Also of note the 169. address range isn’t good as that means the MBL isn’t being assigned an IP address from the DHCP server on your router so it is defaulting to an automatic private IP address. Is there a router in the mix on your network?