MBL 2T slow transfer speed

I have my MBL 2T hardwired to a gig ethernet port on my Asus RT-Ac66u via a less than 1m long cat5 cable. I have BT infinity FTTC which brings in approx 70 Mbps to the modem. I use my kindle fire hd, samsung galaxy s4 and laptop to transfer video files to and from the MBL. My kindle and laptop connects to the router with Approx 35/18 and the galaxy s4 with considerably more as its 802.11ac enabled on 5Ghz band. However when I transfer the files I get a max speed of 2.5 Mbps on all devices. I am not very tech savvy but surely the MBL should be capable of much faster transfer speeds? Any help would be much appreciated as the router set me back £169!

makes no difference what speeds all devices are, look for the weakest link, and that will be your max speed.

2.5 Mbps sounds like a wireless G connection.

Plus this makes no much sense to me:  Approx 35/18.

in a LAN, there is not usually limitations for up/down, as with the ISP connections

Also see…

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374

Oh yeah, also make sure you have a cat5e or newer cable.

Thanks for the reply but I’m afraid it doesn’t really help me much. As I said in my post I have the MBL connected with a less than 1 metre long cat5 cable. Any other replies would be most welcome.

parky7720 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but I’m afraid it doesn’t really help me much. As I said in my post I have the MBL connected with a less than 1 metre long cat5 cable.

… but all of your other devices are Wireless.  Wireless is ALWAYS the slow link.

Thanks Tony.

However there is no issue with my wireless signal. I know that wifi is always slower than wired. However my Asus RT-AC66U is capable of super fast wifi. When on the internet with wifi I get speeds of approx 35Mbps down and 18Mbps up on my laptop and kindle fire hd and up to 69 Mbps down on my Galaxy s4 using 802.11ac 5Ghz.

But when transferring files to or from the MBL I get a transfer speed of 2.5 Mbps on all devices. Considering the MBL is hard wired with a cat5e cable and I know my devices connect to the router with fast speeds why is my transfer rate so slow??

Rule it out by plugging in your laptop via wired ethernet, not WiFi, and test again.