Linksys modem not linking to MBL

I have just moved my MBL and then re-connected it to the same modem as before.  I was able to see it on the network before.  Now I have a permanent red light on the MBL and it doesn’t appear to have been allocated a 192.xxx.xxx.x address.

I can connect and use the MBL if I move the ethernet cable from the modem to my PC.   The MBL is then allocated a 169.xxx.xxx.x  ip address.

How can I fix this so that my MBL is back on the network again?

A permanent red light is a hardware fault.   Has nothing to do with your network.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf

Does it stil have a solid red light when connected to your PC (and is “working”)?

If so, then set the network back to Automatic (DHCP) on the Duo, then do a shutdown.

Disconnect from your PC, plug back into your network, then power it back up.

1 Like

169.xxx.xxx.x is not allocation, it is timeout looking for a DHCP server. Regardless, what is the color of the LED?

Please match LED colors the the manual and that will lead you somewhere. Match front and back LEDs.

Added:

:slight_smile:

While writting my response, TonyPH12345 responded as well… Anyhow, we are both thinking along the same way.

Does it stil have a solid red light when connected to your PC (and is “working”)?

No.  When it is connected to my PC it has a green led and works perfectly.

When connected to my PC:

Back led:    Link = Yellow   Activity = Green      Front:  Green

When connected to the modem:

Back led:   Link = off    Activity = off     Front:  Red

I have tested with a couple of different cables, so that isn’t the problem.

Now for the weirdest thing!

I just moved the cable from the MBL to my PC to check now IP addresses were being reallocated.  All good.

Then moved the cable back to the MBL and suddenly it came to life on the network!    Green lights all the way.

This is why I will stick to databases and stay away from networking.  This makes no sense to me.

Oh well - all’s well that ends well.   Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.