Issue connecting to My Book Live (for which I cannot find ANY similar results)

Argggh, this drive!

I have for a week been unable to connect to this drive (and on that basis haven’t been able to backup my data!).

What appears to be unique and which I can’t find any search results for is that the front LED light is switching between 5 seconds OFF and 1 second RED.

It’s worth noting that the drive is alive in one way or another - the drive is ticking away inside the unit.

• The drive does not appear at all in Finder (I’m running OSX)

• Browser cannot connect to the dashboard via  http://mybooklive.local/ (browser can’t find this address)

• I’ve tried accessing the drive both over the network and by connecting it directly to the computer via ethernet (and am using the exact same cable that I’ve used in the past for this process)

I have tried power-cycling the drive AND holding down the reset button for 4 seconds (the latter doesn’t appear to do anything, the front LED continues to switch between off and red).

I have also tried rebooting my Mac.

Any thoughts? This drive is only a year old, has not been mishandled, and if it’s kaput I’m going to be flaming mad and avoiding all future WD products.

Thanks,

Chris

Also, the drive doesn’t appear to be on the network - having checked the router’s DHCP table the drive is not listed.

Kaput is a very good chance. What happened a week ago? Firmware upgrade?

“It’s worth noting that the drive is alive in one way or another - the drive is ticking away inside the unit.”

This means physically the unit might be fine. Software wise, it might be another story.

Did you see the manual to see what the LED status means? From there, you will then know what to do. Best option, might be to open a case with WD.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=230&type=25

Firmware hasn’t upgraded for a while (currently running 02.42.02-012).

Regarding the lights, there is nothing in the bleeding manual that matches this use case :frowning:

Case opened with WD. Will update the thread as things progress.