Is using a single drive a wise move?

I have had a MBL for around two years now. Although there were some bugs and issues in the early days, these were eventually sorted out with the unit finally becoming stable and reliable.

I do however worry about the wisdom of relying on one single HDD. whilst it may now be reliable who’s to say it won’t fail tomorrow or next week or next month? I have a lot of data on that drive in a format that I would hate to lose. Given my time again I would definitely go for something like the Duo which has redundancy built in.

What do others think?

Jacko1 wrote:
I have a lot of data on that drive in a format that I would hate to lose. Given my time again I would definitely go for something like the Duo which has redundancy built in.

What do others think?

While redundancy offers some value, there’s NO substitute for BACKUPS.

Drive redundancy doesn’t protect you if the system as a whole fails (power surge or whatever), or if you or someone else accidentally deletes files.

I use two MBLs for this reason, so I have an online backup

How do you connect two MBL’s to the one Network?

Most of my data is backed up on my Time Capsule with the exception of my Windows VM. Virtual Machines don’t play nice with TM backups despite attempts by Parallels to cure the issue. Having said that I do use Acronis to back up the VM to an external HD. I still think that Raid 1 is a better solution if you own a NAS than just a single drive though.

ahhh! Here I go again, I do agree, I sound like a broken record… Some users have complained about me posting the following all the time, don’t care… :slight_smile:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-33088_39-57556308/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/

Once is called mybooklive1 and the other mybooklive2

I have a single drive MBL; also have an usb 3 harddrive for backup.  The usb 3 drive came before the MBL existed/available.  Now & then I think about a 2nd MBL for use as a backup instead of the usb 3 drive…

Anyway, the usb 3 drive is the backup & “quicker” access (cannot tell subjectively) from the pc.  Have RMA’ed the MBL twice so that the backup alleviates problem of lost data (audio, video docs).  If the MBL was a dual drive in a raid mode & I had ro RMA, everything is lost, twice!. 

Definitely do not want to rip 1300+ CDs again; won’t need to do so with a backup drive of any type, just need to do backups every so often, depending on usage, of course.