Install My Book at Router

I have new Linksys AC smart router with USB port. Can I install new 4TB My Book by plugging into router USB? Does software need to install or will it simply be looked at as USB storage or NAS. Thanks in advance.

beachfarmer wrote:
I have new Linksys AC smart router with USB port. Can I install new 4TB My Book by plugging into router USB?

No.

That was pretty clear!

The rest o f the story is that I have a 4 TB My Cloud that I want to back up. If i connect My Book to router will it recognize it as simple storage? Or can I connect to My Cloud USB without install and It be recognized as USB storage? Or, should I return My Book and take a different approach? I don’t have 4TB on pc so I can’t back up there. Thanks again in advance…John

beachfarmer wrote:
If i connect My Book to router will it recognize it as simple storage?

It depends on your router. 

…can I connect [a My Book USB drive] to My Cloud USB without install and It be recognized as USB storage?

Yes, you can do that, as long as the drive is formatted with supported partitions as described in the documentation.

By the way, you’re posting in the “My Book Live” NAS forum – but you’re asking questions about the My Cloud NAS – I suspect a moderator will move this thread to the correct location.