I don't understand anything about My Book Live

Hi,

I’d like to get rid of my three external+portable drives to get one My Book that is connected to the net.

However I don’t to understand what exactly is My Book Live/Duo (I have to say the explanation/introduction awfully **bleep**)

• Is it connected to my Internet box/router or to my computer (which is impossible has none of my computers have Ethernet ports)

• If ever I was out of Internet or wanted to connected directly/manually to my computer, is there a USB3 port on the My Book Live ?

• How exactly do I access/transfert/edit files from computer to My Book Live? Is there a direct access through Wifi, do I have to connect a cable, or is it possible only through an internet connection to my box/router ?

Also, if ever the responses were that it’s stupid and complicated as I except, what would be the best solution for an external drive that can both connect directly to my computer like a regular explorer/finder interface on the HD, AND be connected to the net like a NAS?

Thanks!

The MyBookLive drives can only connect via an Ethernet cable. If your router has both WiFi and Ethernet connections you could connect an MBL there. The USB port on the MBLs is only for connecting storage devices to add capacity or to back up the MBL. These drives do not have WiFi.

What sort of computers are you using? The lack of Ethernet connections does complicate the situation. I don’t know the answer to your question regarding external drives with dual connectivity.

1 Like
  • Is it connected to my Internet box/router or to my computer (which is impossible has none of my computers have Ethernet ports):

Router

• If ever I was out of Internet or wanted to connected directly/manually to my computer, is there a USB3 port on the My Book Live ?

Does not depend on Internet, it depends on your router. as long as router is up, you should have a connection.

• How exactly do I access/transfert/edit files from computer to My Book Live? Is there a direct access through Wifi, do I have to connect a cable, or is it possible only through an internet connection to my box/router ?

Multiple options, the most commons: Map a drive or connect to a share manually

Then you would just copy/paste as any other dir/folder/drive.

Do some google searches for “NAS vs usb hard drive” so you have a better understanding.

BTW: NAS = Network Access Storage