How to create partitions on My Book Live?

Can I partition the “My Book Live” (1TB or 2TB) in to two partitions with the following criteria.

1. First Partition: HFS+ (For Time Machine backups from my MacBook.

2. Second Partition: NTFS/FAT32 (For media streaming (DLNA))

Will that be possible? If yes, how?

No, you don’t need to partition it.

Just create independent shares.

Now the issue you may run into is that you cannot set QUOTAS on the MBL, so you’ll have to carefully manage how much space Time Machine uses…

You need to use parted and edit the boot up scripts to mount the partitions sensibly, as the my book live doesn’t use fstab.

If the above means nothing to you, then Tony’s advice is the way to go. I don’t have a workaround for quotas yet.

What’s your OS is ? If your OS is windows 7/vista/2008 you could use the built-in Disk Management to do this, but there’s also some limitation on it . I always use the third-party partition manager to solve this problem, If you need, you could free download it from net.

Err, no. You can’t use that to manage partitions on a NAS device.

michaelJ wrote:

What’s your OS is ? If your OS is windows 7/vista/2008 you could use the built-in Disk Management to do this, but there’s also some limitation on it . I always use the third-party partition manager to solve this problem, If you need, you could free download it from net.

As Tony says, that tool won’t work at all as it is for NTFS, FAT and FAT32 drives while the MyBook Live is EXT3. Also that tool does not support NAS drives, only local drives.

sorry for my mistake, I misunderstand tha is the Windows file system