How do I give someone out of my home network access to just one folder and not my public share?

I do motion graphics for a client of mine. Currently I send movs of the drafts and final compositions via WeTransfer.

How do I give them access to just one folder on the MBL so they can download stuff (or view perhaps?) straight from there.

I do not want to give them access to the public share.

Cheers

WD 2go doesn’t allow for folder-level priviledges, only SHARE-level priviledges. 

And short of hacking around in the configuration files, I don’t believe there’s any way to deny access to the Public share.

1 Like

Oh that’s strange.

I guess I have to keep my photos in the public share do I? So WD Photos can see them or can they be placed elsewhere.

So does this mean you can only share files with someone if you give them access to all your photos?

If security is not a concern, FTP.

Setup a private share, add the permissions and users. 

However, if photos are not in Public, WD Photo will not find them.

If security is a concern, SCP/SFTP over SSH is the option, but a bit more complicated. Since you will have to go to the OS level and run Unix commands.

1 Like

Thanks this is all new to me.

If you mean by security being a concern, do I trust these people not to hack into PC? I do.

I simply don’t want them to have all my family photos right in front of them.

So do I need to do the SCP/SFTP over SSH thing then? Is there a guide for this? Maybe it’s beyond me :frowning:

I’m very dissapointed, it seems everything I bought the MBL to do doesn’t work. I probably would have been better off putting a new HDD in the PC.

Don’t other people want to be able to share a ‘share’ or folder with other people without them seeing their photos? so handy for work.

ah well, if there is a guide to the SCP/SFTP I’ll give it a go.

Cheers

By security I mean the information going across, needs to be encrypted or not. FTP protocol will send info in clear txt. So if not sensitive data, I recommend you do FTP. A lot easier to do and setup, all in manual.

Personally, this is one of the best NAS I ever had. It does the basics from the get-go, however, for more advance usage, yes, knowledge/research/test and willing to learn is required. USB HDs are easier to deal with, but lot less options and or need to setup a dedicated server with the HD attached if you want to share accross the internet.

I do share folder with family and friends. I do it via SCP/SFTP.

There are other options, nothing as simple as FTP. See these links:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Beautiful-Directory-Listing-for-Apache-File-Server-Sharing/m-p/560636#M21131

Owncloud

Barracudadrive

1 Like

Well that’s encouraging news :slight_smile: that you find it a good NAS. I’ll stick with it and try to learn, I am interested.

You mention a manual… this is probably why I was a bit lost I only knew about the WD learning centre, which is a bit basic. Just googled the manual and got a pdf it seems more thorough to me.

So, is this FTP method you mention what is being described on the share content section of the WD learning centre?

Is it the same method that allows people outside of your home network access to your public share? 

My photos are not sensitive data, but I think it’s unprofessional if I give access to work I’ve done to clients but there’s a folder with all my photos right next to their stuff.

Do you know what I mean? :) 

Thanks for your help.

So, is this FTP method you mention what is being described on the share content section of the WD learning centre?

No idea

Is it the same method that allows people outside of your home network access to your public share? 

There a quite a few methods. So I do not know what the have in the learning center

My photos are not sensitive data, but I think it’s unprofessional if I give access to work I’ve done to clients but there’s a folder with all my photos right next to their stuff.

Agree. Creating a private share only they have access to is an option and transfer files via FTP.

However, the username will still have access to the Public folder. And if you need to use the WD mobile apps, it is limited to the Public folder.

An option would be not to use the WD mobile apps and not to use the public folder. Instead, create all private shares and set permissions/users as necessary. 

Other options I can think of…

• separate NAS devices for work and personnal files

• Dropbox or sugarsync

And last, this is an advance solution, nevertheless, it should solve for your issue.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Public-share-access-privileges/m-p/533781/highlight/true#M18073

1 Like

Thanks for all your help.

I will test it when I get time and see how obvious the photo folder would be to them.

If it is I’ll take a look at your other suggestions although I’m worried about a novice like me tinkering with the code.

If only WD would let you allow access to the public share on a per user basis, or allow WD Photos to access a different share. :frowning:

I could cross my fingers that WD will add this in the future, but I sounds like people were asking for this years ago :frowning:

Anyway, thanks again for all your help. :slight_smile: