How do I get this thing to work like every other computer on my network?

Hi folks,

So I guess I’m not as tech-savy as I thought. I recently bought the drive and set it up and created users for each of my family members and a guest account, great. 

It works like a dream from the iphone and ipad apps. It’s pretty great.

I didn’t want random visitors to be able to access the shared drive and start deleting files by accident, a problem which I also have with my parents and their iPad so I created a private share and set all the accounts to read-only except for mine.

For all mobile devices, and for everyone outside of my house this works like a charm.

However, internally I would also like to be able to stream my digital content from my laptop and various htpcs using the full power of my network connection. Particularly I want to access it through XBMC but when I try to connect to it I get the prompt for a user name and password which, even with the device name before the username, never connects.

I saw a lot of SSH recommendations for various things, but it’s all above me for the most part and I’m not about to play with my new drive and screw it all up. I can turn on ssh and connect with Putty so if someone has an ssh solution and is willing to give me step by step instructions that would be wonderful.

If theres another solution for accessing these devices as a regular network device without ssh that would be great too. I did see one post which suggested switching my workgroup names from workgroup, but all that did was prevent the device from showing up under network devices at all so yea…

I’d appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Steven

Hello, have you tried leaving the username and password empty? Also see if the following link helps. 

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NAS

stevenblanc wrote:

Particularly I want to access it through XBMC but when I try to connect to it I get the prompt for a user name and password which, even with the device name before the username, never connects.

You need to provide more info about what the issue is.  Are you getting error messages or something?