How do I access MBL command line?

Hi, I’m considering following Myron’s Procedure:

Yes you can restrict the Public share for the NFS, AFP, FTP and SMB access.

You need to access the MBL’s Linux’s command line. Instructions are littered through this community.

Using the  nano  text editor edit /etc/trustees.conf find …

/shares/Public:*:RWBEX:*:CU

… change this to …

/shares/Public:admin:RWBEX:*:CU

Do the same change to /tmp/trustees.mod. Within this file if you see admin ![:smileyvery-happy:](http://wstd.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif "Smiley Very Happy")RWBEX within the DENY LIST then remove it from the appropriate line. Make sure there is one : and not :: if you do this.

Issue the following command:

settrustees -f /tmp/trustees.mod

The Public share and directory is now only accessible to the owner/admin user.

This will persist through anu user and share changes on the Dashboard UI.  If you do any changes to Public share  using the Dashboard UI you will need to repeat this procedure.

As I want to stop public access to the shared photos.

I’ve got as far as enabling ssh, but what do i do/need between that and the procedure above?

Do I need putty or nano? I tried putty but wasn’t sure on version and which password it asked me for going in.

I’m running Win 7 64 if that helps.

Cheers

you can use putty to telnet to your mbl if you enabled ssh. find a suitable version for you at here:  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

the login name is: root

pw: welc0me, 0 is zero.

1 Like

And then I can enter and change those lines?

Sorry to be dense, but what version do I need? putty, puttytel … I’m not sure what the difference are.

I also don’t know what the difference is in the columns, RSA sig, DSA sig etc.

Thanks for your help…

Hi, finally worked out what to do and followed it through with no errors coming up, but when I access wd2g with another user I still have aceess to the public share and my photos in therre.

Is there anything else I can check? or see what’s wrong?

Cheers

You probably need to restart some service for the changes to take effect, but a reboot will do the same. Try a reboot and see if it applies your changes.

1 Like

Yes I restarted.

It seems it hasn’t worked for the mobile apps, so my son can still access and delete photos,

but it has worked on remote web access. The public share is still there but if you click on it as a different user you get an error message. If I log on as admin it works.

I guess the mobile apps work in a different way?

I can live with the fact he can delete photos I think.

The important thing was other people via web access.

So thanks all.

:)