How can I search for and manage files on My Book Live?

Hi, I have a lot of files on my WD drive that I’d like to rearrange. At present, the only way I can move or copy files from one folder to another is to do so via my computer. If I use the wifi connection, it can take 20 minutes just to move one file from one folder to another! It shouldn’t take more than a fraction of a second to do it (to move a file, perhaps a few seconds to copy it). I can rename files from Windows Explorer, but not move or copy them.

Is there a “File Manager” of some kind that works directly with the drive, rather than via a client computer? I tried using WD2go on an iPad, but there’s no way to manage (copy, move, delete OR rename) a file!

The other problem I have is that there seems to be no way to search for a file (whether by name or by content) anywhere on the drive. I have tens of thousands of files uploaded to My Book, but for the life of me I can’t find where they are anymore.

I feel very stupid for having overlooked some simple, obvious utility or web-based file-management interface - but I’ve looked everywhere and scoured the manual(s) and I can’t see where it is or how to do it. At the very least, I was expecting something like cpanel’s file-management utility (it’s a unix-based file system, right?)…

Please explain how to do it, or provide a link where to download the appropriate file-management software.

many thanks

Moving a file between SHARES will take a while, because it has to go from the MBL, to your computer, and back to the MBL.  

“Fast” moving only occurs when moving files within the SAME share.  – that’s the way ALL file servers work, not just the MBL.

WD 2go DOES allow copy, move, rename and delete … but the same rule above applies…

You do that via your PC the same way you’d search for any file.

There is no Web-based file manager on the MBLs.

The other option you have is to log into the MBL via SSH and move things around from the command line.   There’s numerous posts on how to do that.