Home wifi speed - again

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before but maybe one of you can point me in the right direction or give me a brief hint here.

Situation is that a 3TB version of My Book Live is hooked up to our wifi router at home. The up- and download speed is extremely slow and makes the entire use of the drive a pain rather than a positive experience.I get (shown in Windows Explorer) about 0.8 - 2MB/s. Not more at any given time. Ridiculous right?

I assume it’s all about the very low end router I’m currently using. Can anybody please simply list good, fast router options based on the current models? As always I assume there is a wide range from high end professional to low end. I’m ready to do some investment to get a decent speed out of this network but of course there are limits… but please I’m happy to get any suggestions…

Current setup:

Netgear DGN1000

iPad (2nd and 3rd generation)

iPhone 4 & 5

Sony Vaio with 802.11a/b/g/n

Panasonic Vierra

The router is also the dsl connection point. And if it makes a difference about regions and availability of hardware, I’m based in Australia.

Thanks so much!!!

Hello, 

You can check the link below for the best one that goes with your needs. 

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/routers/

Will do. Thought somebody can give me a top5 listing of fast and affordable routers… Anyway.

Quick question. Can anybody confirm what kind of bandwidth I can actually achieve in real environment within the home network and the iPad/ laptop hardware listed above? Is it around 5/10/15/20/x MB/s? As said currently it’s never above 2MB/s… Just want to get an idea what I can roughly expect from my investment. For all that assuming that my router sits about 3m away form me in my living room without any obstructions = ideal scenario.

Thanks

If you are around 2, sounds as you have Wireless 54G, and probably will not be any faster. 

All networks are different, and wireless are slow in comparison to wired networks. Wireless also depend in signal strenght.

Theoretical speeds are: 

802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

but actual speeds will vary by network.

See this link:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374