Green light won't stop blinking; blue light never comes on

I have been running a My Book Live for several months with no problems whatsoever. When no devices were accessing the drive it would spin down and the LED would turn blue. Then, a few days ago, I noticed the LED on the front of the unit blinking green for no apparent reason, as if it was being accessed (laptops were turned off at the time). Over the next couple of days the light continued to blink green, never turning solid, and never turning blue. Eventually the light turned red from overheating (it was 100 degrees here, too – bad timing for the drive to start acting up) and I shut down the drive, restarted, etc. in the hopes this would solve the problem. Unfortunately, no such luck – the LED is still blinking green several hours after restart. I haven’t changed any data on the drive for weeks. Any ideas?

Hi, have you try resetting the drive? Also, are you able to access the information on the drive and the dashboard? If you are able to access the dashboard try to run a extended test on the drive

Thanks for the reply. I can access all the data through Windows, and can also access the dashboard. I’ll run an extended test and report back what I find.

EDIT:  What do you mean by resetting? Is that the same as shutting down and restarting?

modriguez wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I can access all the data through Windows, and can also access the dashboard. I’ll run an extended test and report back what I find.

EDIT:  What do you mean by resetting? Is that the same as shutting down and restarting?

No in the back of the unit you will see a little button, that you can use it to reset the unit, this will reset the passwords, but it will not delete the information on the drive.

you can look it here  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705042.pdf its on the page 111

Thanks again, you are very helpful. I’m running the diagnostic test now, after that I will try the reset button.

All the reset button does is clear the “admin” password.  Resets root’s password to “welc0me”, set’s up the NAS to obtain it’s IP address by DHCP and reboots the NAS.  No more, no less.

For the technically savvy people . . .

NAS:~# cat /usr/local/sbin/resetButtonAction.sh
#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# © 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
#
# resetButtonAction.sh
#
# This is called by resetbtnd whenever the reset button has met the criteria for a reset. This script implements the actions for the reset button.
#
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

logger "reset button pressed, invoking reset actions"

# remove owner password
owner=`getOwner.sh`
modUserPassword.sh ${owner}

# set root password back to default
echo "root:welc0me" | chpasswd

# set network to dhcp
setNetworkDhcp.sh

reboot

So I attempted to run the full diagnostic test, but after a couple of hours it returned the “Connection lost” error code (my Internet went out during it). Weirdly, though, the instant I started the test the light stopped blinking and went steadily green. Now the drive seems to be behaving normally, and the blue light had reappeared. We’ll see how long it lasts…

I have the same issue on my end. All my computers are turned off, and the NAS keep working.  Some read/ write. Is this normal?

I have run a short test, and it passed.

Anyone can help here?