Ghosted Backup and Retrieve Tab?

So history to date.

Laptop died.

Replaced with Acer Desktop so brand spanking new computer.

Installed WD software to administer the MBL.

Started a backup which likely ran all night and into next day.

Came home from work.

Smartware was hung.

It closed Smartware using close button top right corner BUT found explorer had died and while I had start menu, any application selected would raise exception.

Computer would not shut down.

Had to do the nasty and turn off power.

Nasty windows came up again an wanted to check disk.

Started disk check, got bored, went to cafe for dinner.

Came back and computer was up phew (wiping brow)!

Started Smartware again to check whether the backup finished.

Smartware started up, started characterising files (as if it hadn’t already) and both “Backup” and “Retrieve” folders ghosted.

Why are Backup and Retrieve tabs ghosted??

Actually, I sorted out the ghosting (newby problem :wink: but found that the SmartWare must have crashed about 10 hours into copying the 60Gb.  So I suspect the brand new MBL crash and taking out a brand new Acer Desktop is less than a newby problem.  Has anyone else had SmartWare crash and take out their computer?

More over, now it’s running again I can see a disturbing number of files it has decided not to backup, in fact 51GB of the 59GB appears to have been tagged as “Files not backed up”!!  So, why did I pay $100 for a wireless backup drive that ignores backing up so much of my data?

Lol, I get it, who designed the HMI.  It is a count down (or so it seems) of the files still to go.  So it has a count down counter and a count up???  Except, last night, before the crash, the “Files not backed up” was counting up???  I only had about 80 files in it last night.  I guess the really irritating thing is that, after 24 hours, one crashed computer needing a disk check etc, the MBL has only 10GB of the 60GB moved to it.  It isn’t really going to take a week for the data to copy is it?  :angry:

I had a thread in the actual WD software forum, where you might be better off asking smartware questions.  The nomenclature/display is confusing.  It may restart the “what needs to be backed up?” query, but it will not actually re-copy anything already successfully on the drive, it will pick up where it left off eventually.

Thanks, I’ll try that.