[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

A liitle help, please.

First, I tried to install some server s/w on my MyBook Live 2 TB. Long story, short, it is now a brick. (I’m pretty sure where I went wrong – a little bit more about that below).

I say it is a brick b/c (1) the front panel light is a solid yellow, and (2) any attempt to access the server functions fail.

I want to use the guide to try to back up the contents of the drive which is my digital music library (iTunes) and the Mac OS X Time Machine share contents.

However, there’s a bit of confusion about the necessary platforms needed to perform all of the steps in the guide. Is it all Windows based, or, Windows and *NIX? And, if I need a LINUX system, will FreeBSD suffice?

OK, now to explore some options.

If I were to acquire a new WD Cloud device, configure it and put it up onto my LAN, is there a way to take the MBL drive (from the server now a brick) and to mount it on a Windows system then copy across the net the contents of the iTunes directories?

Next question, same as the one immediately above but for the Mac OS X TM files?

Finally, the task I was attempting was to install the Mozilla FireFox Sync server software. This would allow for using the FireFox Sync service but using a local server and not the service provided by Mozilla. My initial attempt failed when the sudo apt-get install command gave me an error for one of the 3 packages not found. The suggested fix was to update aptitude. I believe this is where it went south. What is the correct command for updating the Debian flavor aptitude?

TIA

DJ