[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

So, after almost 50 hours of non-stop working on this I finally crashed just after 9AM this morning.  Got up around 5pm and started at this beast again.

After surprusingly no response from this forum I reverted to the ‘Google is your friend’ credo.  Of course, most queries led me right back here to this forum.  Using the information from the very detailed guides from NFODIZ, along with the many responses to people that actually did get help here… I opened up WinSCP and Putty at the same time.  Then I started to read what what in each of the scripts ending in ‘.sh’ and googled about how to execute commands from within linux.

Since I was ready to ‘fix’ my drive with a hammer I figured, ‘what have I got to lose?’ (except maybe having spent $100 bucks on a drive.) 

While I was in Putty I started to issue commands that were found in the ‘SetNetworkStatic.sh’ script.  Lo and behold, the MyBookLive appeared in my router’s interface once again.  Then WD Discovery once again let me back into the Dashboard.

Still no internet access (I was wondering why the date showed April 2012).  I changed the default to the Canadian pool.ntp.org site for the eventuality that I will at some point have internet access again.  I’m hoping to get this to sync with my network.

I rant a short test and it reported that everything was fine other than I was also warned to remove some files to make space on the drive as it’s almost full. 

At this point the software shows: MyBookLive 02.11.09-053 : Core F/W

I’m in the process of deleting items I backedup from my network folders for some music applications.  I haven’t used any of the actual WD software, however Twonky is enabled, although I do not use it.  I prefer to use XBMC for everything.  Since I use that for watching just about everything I find I no longer need to use any kind of torrents or nzb files, I simply stream just about anything I feel like watching, including live streams.  (that programme is great!)

So, if anyone is willing to give me any suggestions as to how I may get actual internet established back to this nas, it would be great!  I cannot believe how SLOW this thing is in transferring data over ethernet - amazing in that respect.  I always thought it would be fast than USB2, but not in this case.

I’m not really afraid to try just about anything with this anymore as I seem to have survived all the frustration this drive has caused me to endure. 

In the end, it didn’t win…and I didn’t have to resort to pulling out a hammer.  :stuck_out_tongue: