[GUIDE] Debrick MyBookLive v2.0

My boot log:

U-Boot 2009.08 (Sep 02 2010 - 21:48:57), Build: 0.2.3

CPU: Rev. D at 800 MHz (PLB=200, OPB=100, EBC=100 MHz)
Security support
Bootstrap Option E - Boot ROM Location NOR/SRAM (8 bits)
32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Apollo-3G - APM82181 Board, 2*SATA, 1*USB
I2C: ready
DRAM: Auto calibration 256 MB
FLASH: 512 kB
DTT: 1 FAILED INIT
Net: PHY EC1 Register: 0x2c8c
ppc_4xx_eth0

Type run flash_nfs to mount root filesystem over NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 1 1
Do initialization on SATA1 …
Waiting for device…
sata_dwc: Device found
sata_dwc: Waiting for device…
Loading file “/testcfg/mfg_test_cfg” from sata device 1:1 (gpt1)
set po.
failed to READ SECTORS (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
sata_dwc : Hard disk read error.
Machine Check Exception.
Caused by (from msr): regs 0fe76480 Data Write PLB Error
NIP: 0FFA7B50 XER: 00000000 LR: 0FFA7B2C REGS: 0fe76480 TRAP: 0200 DEAR: 00000000
MSR: 00029000 EE: 1 PR: 0 FP: 0 ME: 1 IR/E76F44 00000058 FFFFFF70 00000001 00000001 5C8A1330
GPR08: 0FF7BF58 E20D1820 05F5E101 E20D1818 24FF4F28 20002303 0FFC0400 0FFB4730
GPR16: 0FF83120 0FFB470C 0FE76DA4 0FE76CA4 0FFC00A8 0FE76590 00000001 0FE76820
GPR24: 00000FC0 0000000F 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000000 0FFC2040 0FFBF288
Call backtrace:
0FFA7B2C 0FFA8E6C 0FFA9050 0FFA5C4C 0FFA5248 0FF8498C 0FF9AF00
0FF9B034 0FF94864 0FF95608 0FF7BAB4 0FF79710
machine check

Please, not working link… Help.

Guide 1 (1TB and 2TB MBL)

1. Download the virgin disk image (02.11.09-053) (291MB) from

https://mega.co.nz/#!AAFFnQxA!PfId_3R6RRhS_EJ01X4lbAhr8QQi0R4oainKc8gYpRE

I’m using a 8TB MyBookLive Duo. It’s bricked.

How to debrick my 8TB MyBookLive Duo?

Is it the same as this 3TB MyBookLive Duo?

Cheers

Pei

Great guide, used it some time ago to debrick my 2TB MyBookLive and yesterday i used it to install a 4TB WD green drive in it making it a 4TB MyBookLive. Works like a charm.

do you think I can use also a smaller disk, e.g. less than 1TB?

I replaced the MBL with a 4-disk NAS when the drive fault, and I have some working  SATA disks, all smaller than 1TB…

Anyone did this test?

Thanks

some people have…

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Help-request-how-to-install-config-Mybook-Live-software-on-a-new/m-p/670577/highlight/true#M28003

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone monitors this thread anymore but, I took my 3TB Mybook live unit off the shelf after find this thread. After much reading and time i managed to get the drive to a different state than it was. However it is now stuck in the solid green light state, there is network activity, but i can not access the dashboard. Logging into my router I do not find the devices MAC address in the client list. Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to say thank you for this tutorial and the discussion. I successfully saved my WD mybook live 3tb after a botched firmware upgrade.

THANKS!

Hi,

nfodiz   thanks for your help.

I used R-Linux with USB-SATA docking station for recovery of my fiels. Then replaced disk with new  one (old was 2T new is 3T) and used your image. It works.

Thanks again.

Hi!!!

This is the situation of my HDD.

It’s right?

I think no :(((

I follwed the guide but now i have problem to do the right partition. 

I hope someone can help me, please 

Thanks

Giuseppe 

hi everyone, i have a MBL 1TB drive and enclosure that ive filled to the brim. what i would like to do is replace the 1TB green drive in my enclosure with this 3TB red drive i took from a mybook for mac. after working out all the bugs with my cd burner and my sata cables etc, ive finally gotten completely through the Guide 2.0 for the 3TB drive and gotten the 4420 records in/out msg but my drive never shows up on the network and never gets an ip from the router… i THINK im zeroing in on the problem, i think i need to set up my partitions correctly before starting the guide… is there a page in the guide that talks about that, or does anyone have any advice?

thanks!

also i was thinking, it might be easier for me to image my existing drive to the new one, then resize it? anyone seen a good guide for that?

Hi Nfodiz,

I  have 3TB version of WDBL, not sure either it is version 1 or 2 but box is like this ( http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4952/mybook_box_575px.JPG))

Issue I had: typical no dashboard, SSH , but I had access to sever and DLNA.

First I debricked without data loss , whole process completed without any error but MBL light remained yellow.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

then I debriced using Data wipe option from same thread , which raised error several errors 

./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy

warnings like block size and file

could not complete the process due to errors , but rsulted all partiations were deleted.

then I Version 2 solution for 3TB. first it raised error while mounting the usb (no clean system however i used clean 350 hdd formatted on ntfs)

following command , raised dd error 7+1 copied , (few mbs), plugged into the nas but light is stil static yellow.

I am newbiew to Linux stuff so not have much info , would be greatfull if you guide to make MBL re-alive. Thanks

dd if=/mnt/usb/mybook3tb.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

Further more, I tried 1tb img as well, both 1tb and 3tb img deployed successfully (as per main thread same in/out bytes).
After depoyement particians wiped to untouFurther more, I tried 1tb img as well, both 1tb and 3tb img deployed successfully (as per main thread same in/out bytes).
After depoyement particians wiped to unformatted. On MBL pcb, constant yellow light and router also does not show any used ip for mac address. So i cant acess Dashboard too.

Plz plz help me, getting Frustrated and could not sleep well because of this. ched. On MBL pcb, constant yellow light and router also does not show any used ip for mac address. So i cant acess Dashboard too.

Plz plz help me, getting Frustrated and could not sleep well because of this.

Note: i have tried different pcs, lan cables and routers but result is same.

I have fixed my 2TB MBL using your guide.

It worked like a charm.

My MBL is running great now. It is performing even better than when it was new. Thank you very much.

I was working with a SATA to USB connector as I have a laptop. It did not create any issue. 

I have spent so many days trying again and again to fix the MBL using your guide V1. every thime i was getting i/o error at the last step.

I found the version 2 of you guide yesterday and Bingoo!!! My MBL 2TB is live again. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi,

Can you pl let me know from where you have downloaded the virgin image?

regedit024 wrote:

hi everyone, i have a MBL 1TB drive and enclosure that ive filled to the brim. what i would like to do is replace the 1TB green drive in my enclosure with this 3TB red drive i took from a mybook for mac. after working out all the bugs with my cd burner and my sata cables etc, ive finally gotten completely through the Guide 2.0 for the 3TB drive and gotten the 4420 records in/out msg but my drive never shows up on the network and never gets an ip from the router… i THINK im zeroing in on the problem, i think i need to set up my partitions correctly before starting the guide… is there a page in the guide that talks about that, or does anyone have any advice?

thanks!

also i was thinking, it might be easier for me to image my existing drive to the new one, then resize it? anyone seen a good guide for that?

Hello, not sure if you solved your problem, but here it is a fast solution:

Backup your WD MBL OS from Windows / Replace HD with a smaller one

Once followed, you only have to copy the contents of 4th partition to new disk using any Linux Live CD

Thank you so much for this guide!
I both saved the data on my MBL and got it up and running! Thanks!

Can the process outlined in this thread be used to debrick a MBLD?  If not, is there a similar process as opposed to the more manual process outlined in

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/GUIDE-Debrick-a-MyBookLive-DUO/td-p/544860  

Thanks NFODIZ,

great guide, saved me, and a bunch of photos. Mybooklive up and running fine.

Got an error on guide 1 but pulled data and used guide 2 with no issues. Haven’t typed that much linux since I was a kid!

NFODIZ - Can you tell me the first steps of the 3TB Guide for a brand new drive straight out of the antistatic bag. Dead WD Green, putting in WD Red.

Do i have create a gpt table?

Do i create multiple partitions like in the photos?

I can follow the guide ok, it just the steps for a brands spanking new drive.

thanks

EDIT- actually think i found the solution in another post of yours using the debrick script. fortunatly i have a rootfs.img for a previous backup after a previous bebrick. that should solve the partitions. have formated in gpt already

EDIT2 - Yep, formatted in gpt with no partitions, ran the debrick sccript with the destroy option and is made all the partitions. Then said needed to reboot, so rebooted and re-run the script again and completed sucessfully. pluged it in and got a steady green light in about 1 min or less. Dashboard seems to be ok. This is a rootfs.img of a backup so wont factory reset that,