Folders turned into files

I recently booted my WD MyBook Live after a few weeks - everything booted fine, but when I went in to access two of my largest folders (Movies and Music) through Finder on my Mac, the folders appeared as text files that were unreadable.  All of my other folders were there and read just fine.  Any ideas?

Welcome to the community broadcast, have you tried to access the files from another Mac/PC to verify if the same problem happens? 

Yes - I’ve tried accessing it with multiple Macs - one using Yosemite, another on a previous version of OS X.  Both mount the WD Drive just fine and show all folders and contents except those two particular folders (Movies and Music - which hold the majority of my content) are turned into text documents.

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 10.01.05 PM.png

Hi again, you problem could be related to a virus, I recommend you to scan the hard drive with an antivirus to be sure. If you need to recover the files you should be able to do it with a data recovery program, using Google you can find several options. 

No virus - and everything on the computer and the rest of the MyBook Live drive is functioning prefectly - other than those two folders that have turned into text files… It appears as if the data is still there from what it reports in “Available Storage” - but it is now reflected as “Other”, rather than “Videos”, “Music”, etc.  I also ran both the short and long diagnostic test, and it passed and didn’t find any “bad” sectors.