Firmware update, NOW DEAD

Good morning all. Woke up this morning and just checking all my network devices, logged into MBL and was greeted to firmware update. Great. Updated firmware. Device reboot. Then, nothing. Cant access device in any way. Not visible on my network. Not visible on my routers DHCP table. Not visible to WD software. What do I do?

Your only course of action would be the reset button on the back. Press and hold it for 5 seconds or so and the drive should reset network back to DHCP and cleat dashboard password. The drive should then reboot and you should notice it cycle through several colors before coming back to a solid green. Then try to see if it shows up on you network or your routers client list.

You are at least the second person I have seen report this same exact issue so I’m leaning towards something going wrong with the update under certain conditions.

Im not getting any response when pushing the reset button. Pressed and held for near thirty seconds. Light for NIC connection and activity is working properly, front light doesn’t work at all. When power cycling the unit, I can feel the hard drive accessing for a moment then just normal heat and NIC activity. 

If my drive is toast, what is WD planning on doing to rectify this situation? I’ve done nothing to cause this issue except trying to keep my network up to date with their RECOMMENDED software. I shouldn’t be punished with quite a bit of data loss and although it may not be expensive to some, to me, the price of this unit isn’t exactly small for a single dad like myself.

Hopefully someone from WD contacts you. If not I would call the Tech support line and explain the issue and they should be able to setup an RMA. I would also request free data recovery as it was no fault of your own that your drive is borked.

1 Like

Wouldn’t any the unbrick procedures work?

Sure he could debrick his drive but then he voids his warranty

Gotta say, WD REALLY STEPPED UP to take care of this problem for me. I started a trouble ticket, I didn’t even have to call them, THEY CALLED ME! After a couple emails and a PM on the board, they called me and arranged to replace my unit  and I have to say, I’M IMPRESSED with the customer service I’ve received and the next time I’m shopping for a hard drive or something, I’LL BE LOOKING FOR WESTERN DIGITAL PRODUCTS! You guys REALLY stepped up and I’m a VERY satisfied customer. Its rare these days to see a company taking responsibility for something like this. THANK YOU WESTERN DIGITAL.

I’m glad you were taken care of :slight_smile:

Exactly the same problem here.

I successfully upgraded to the latest firmware and after the reboot it was impossible to connect to the MBL.

I can’t ping it, connect through SSH nor connect to the dashboard. I have tried to do the reset procedure but without luck.

When I power on the unit, I can hear the harddrive gets “stucked” in a loop and after a while it gives up and is just unreachable with an orange light.

I will try to get it replaced by my local dealer tomorrow.