Advisor
shiftermsk

FTP access

I enabled FTP access for my new drive. Would I just need to route the LAN IP to go to my drive once i type in my service IP address and will that automatically work to access the drive when i'm away from home? also of course opening up the port 21?
Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: FTP access

Pretty much... 

I don't know if the MBL uses ACTIVE or PASSIVE ftp, so you may also have to open port 20.   Try it without it first, though...

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Advisor
shiftermsk

Thanks. 
Once i got home today I got it working after trying it.  Seems to be very fast to access from the internet using FTP :smileyhappy:.

Didn't even bother with the mionet and trying it out.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Glad it's working for you!

Just keep in mind that FTP isn't secure...   Passwords are sent in the clear; no encryption is used.

Advisor
shiftermsk

What would be the best way for off site access to the NAS then?

I know FTP is not secure, but any other options?

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

No, apparently not...  

Advisor
shiftermsk

Bummer.

I'm impressed with this network drive overall, a lot faster than my Seagate shared storage II that I upgraded to the axis firmware when it was available. I wish it had a usb port for backup and sharing of a printer however :smileysad:.

Trusted Contributor
Ardvark

You could try Mionet... not the fastest solution but it works.... and comes with the drive...

- The Ardvark

Advisor
shiftermsk

From what I read about and used services like it, I don't want to.

Thanks for the advice though.

Occasional Visitor
fayyaz_c

shiftermsk wrote:

Thanks. 
Once i got home today I got it working after trying it.  Seems to be very fast to access from the internet using FTP :smileyhappy:.

Didn't even bother with the mionet and trying it out.

Hi,

Would you be able to tell me how I can do this? I have my the MBL set up on the network and all is well - can access it internally and it has a static IP and port forwarding set up on the router. Also FTP is enabled on the HDD.

However I have no idea how to access it from my work place through the browser. Any help!?

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD