FTP access

I enabled FTP access for my new drive. Would I just need to route the LAN IP to go to my drive once i type in my service IP address and will that automatically work to access the drive when i’m away from home? also of course opening up the port 21?

Pretty much… 

I don’t know if the MBL uses ACTIVE or PASSIVE ftp, so you may also have to open port 20.   Try it without it first, though…

Thanks. 
Once i got home today I got it working after trying it.  Seems to be very fast to access from the internet using FTP :).

Didn’t even bother with the mionet and trying it out.

Glad it’s working for you!

Just keep in mind that FTP isn’t secure…   Passwords are sent in the clear; no encryption is used.

What would be the best way for off site access to the NAS then?

I know FTP is not secure, but any other options?

No, apparently not…  

Bummer.

I’m impressed with this network drive overall, a lot faster than my Seagate shared storage II that I upgraded to the axis firmware when it was available. I wish it had a usb port for backup and sharing of a printer however :(.

You could try Mionet… not the fastest solution but it works… and comes with the drive…

From what I read about and used services like it, I don’t want to.

Thanks for the advice though.

shiftermsk wrote:

Thanks. 
Once i got home today I got it working after trying it.  Seems to be very fast to access from the internet using FTP :).

Didn’t even bother with the mionet and trying it out.

Hi,

Would you be able to tell me how I can do this? I have my the MBL set up on the network and all is well - can access it internally and it has a static IP and port forwarding set up on the router. Also FTP is enabled on the HDD.

However I have no idea how to access it from my work place through the browser. Any help!?

If you’re using IE, try Firefox.

I couldn’t get IE to work with the drive, but Firefox could actually do it.

maybe your work is blocking port 21 too?

Thanks for the reply.

I can connect with mionet (**bleep** slow though) and FileZilla is able to connect through port 21. I have tried with IE, Chrome and Safari!

I will give Firefox a shot!

Thanks anyway!

How do you enable FTP access?

reneruiz:  simple check box in ‘webinterface’  under Settings-> Network-> FTP

Thanks.

I noticed that there may be a limit of only 1 FTP connection allowed at a time. Is there a way to lift this? I have a Media Streamer that accesses it over FTP, but that means I can’t connect from my Mac at the same time.

Of course there is!

Very simple.

All you have to do is log on in to shell using putty or any other similar programm using root account (default l/p is root / welc0me) and then edit ftp daemons configuration file.

After you log on do this:

pico /etc/vsftpd.conf

and change 1 line from this:

max_per_ip=1

to this:

max_per_ip=5

Of course you can use any other number you like. With 5 you will allow 5 connections from one IP.

After you made changes, save file.

And do this:

cd /etc/init.d/
./vsftpd restart

Done!

I open up a terminal prompt and enter

sudo ssh root@192.168.1.4

Type in welc0me, and it refuses the password.

reneruiz: please check if you have ssh enabled on your My Book - http://192.168.1.4/UI/ssh

It was enabled. The problem was I had another SSH key that was conflicting.

Thanks for your help.