Error 35104 - Invalid username or password. Please enter your credentials again to continue

Windows 7, 64 bit. I am trying to create a Safepoint but am unable to proceed as it’s asking for my “credentials”. I’ve tried my email address and the password I set, I tried “admin” and “Admin” but it keeps coming up with an error message and I am unable to proceed. Help would be appreciated, many thanks.

Laura

It’s asking for the user credentials on the server that’s acting as the target for the Safepoint.

Thanks for your reply. I do not understand your response though. I don’t have a username and password on my PC, it boots up and logs in automatically. By “server” do you mean my computer?

If there’s a little lock icon on the share you’re trying to access, then windows will not allow connection to it unless the user / password for the share is provided.

Thank you, but I’m struggling to understand what you’re saying. There is no lock icon on the PC or the My Book Live folders of which there are Public, SmartWare, TimeMachine, TimeMachineBackup. I only just got the drive, copied data into folders in the Public folder and want to make use of the “Safepoint” feature. I don’t know what “credentials” it is asking me for. They don’t appear to be the My Book Live username and password and since my computer isn’t password protected, I’m not sure what else I can do.

The first thing that it asks when setting up a safepoint is for you to “Discover” 

After you Discover, you’re presented a list of possible safepoint destinations.

What are you picking for your destination?  Your PC?

Here’s an example, where I’m picking my PC (Neptune) as the destination.

Untitled.png

The RED arrow points to a folder that’s password protected.  If I choose that folder, it’s going to ask me for the User ID and password (on Neptune) for that folder.

The GREEN arrow points to a non-protected folder.  If I pick that folder, I am not prompted for an ID  / Password … I can then immediately create the safepoint.

Is that not what you’re seeing?

Thanks so much for taking the time. No wonder I didn’t understand as what I see is slightly different.

I do see the My Book Live on the left, I click on “discover” and then I see an icon showing my PC. I click on it and immediately it asks for my “credentials”, i.e., username and password. I do not see the boxes you indicated with your green and red arrows. It doesn’t get that far. My PC is not password protected, so what credential is it seeking? Maybe I need to create a “shared” drive on the PC for the safepoint?

Laurad100 wrote:

Thanks so much for taking the time. No wonder I didn’t understand as what I see is slightly different.

I do see the My Book Live on the left, I click on “discover” and then I see an icon showing my PC. I click on it and immediately it asks for my “credentials”, i.e., username and password. I do not see the boxes you indicated with your green and red arrows. It doesn’t get that far. My PC is not password protected, so what credential is it seeking? Maybe I need to create a “shared” drive on the PC for the safepoint?

On your PC, click Start, then COMPUTER.

In that window, click the Organize button (left side near the top)

Make sure Layout > Navigation Pane is CHECKED.

Now, in the left side (the navigation pane) click NETWORK

In the main part of the window, you should find your computer name listed.

Double click it.

What do you see now?  Do you see any “Shares” listed?

I followed instructions and see:

c:

my printer

Shared

Users

I found some posts on this Forum/Community:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Safepoint-on-windows-7-computer/td-p/290380

Maybe I have a conflict with Windows Live Essentials and or Windows 7 64bit.

I have tried to remove Windows Live Essentials. I need to keep my Windows Live Mail for historical reasons, but have no need of the rest of it.

Thanks for your patience. It seems I need to have some kind of shared/accessible folder on my C: drive. I’ve tried double checking that the Shared folder is indeed shared with “everyone”.

Open Network and Sharing Center.

Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings.

Scroll down to “Password Protected Sharing” – set it to OFF.

Thank you for sticking with me on this. I’m beginning to understand how it works now and I think you have come up with the solution.

I followed instructions again and set it to off and sure enough, this time it showed me some folders, some of which were locked, but the “shared” folder was not. I can’t remember if I created that folder or if it is a default Windows 7 folder for sharing. It is doing the safepoint now, 1.3 TB so it’s going to take all night it seems. I wonder how big the file will be on my PC in that case.

I’ll let you know how I get on and a big thanks for your help.

Laura

The files will take more than 1.3TB on your PC…