Enough of MyBook Live 3TB

Had a my book live 3tb for a couple of years now and to be honest it’s the worst product I’ve ever purchased. I’ve had to recover it on a number of occasions using ssh and finally a few weeks ago it failed completely, with over 1TB of data that was unrecoverable, correct me if I’m wrong but most people would use a nas drive for backup! Smartware is included for this!

I sent the drive back to WD and they replaced it, which I have no complaints about, however I don’t think its the drive that is unreliable, it’s the control board and embedded software, it’s a piece of junk to put it politely, I’ve now taken the 3TB drive out from my replacement drive and put it in a Synology NAS.

WD support took 6 week to reply to my open ticket, terrible customer service!

Goodbye MyBook Live and WD and good riddance to you both.

6 weeks is a very unusual time frame, so I decided to forward your case to the appropriate Support Teams for an investigation related to the time frame and response. I’m sorry you had to go through this but this is not common.

You are very likely to be contacted soon.

Regards,

6 weeks is nothing, my first two open tickets were completely ignored, I eneded up recovering the drive myself,

I don’t think there is any point in anyone contacting me, the drive has been removed and installed in a quailty NAS enclosure.

After losing a TB of data I wouldn’t ever use another WD NAS product again.

Sorry about your experience with WD MBL and the lost of 1tb data. For me, this is the best home NAS device I ever owned.

I am surprise on the number of times I remind people on this forum that a NAS device is not a backup. NAS are just storage devices, that can be used for backups. 

Regardless whether you go to a “quality” NAS or ANY NAS, my $.02 is for you to make sure you have a backup, for all those files that are important to you.

Some good reading:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/

First paragraph under “Backup” section.

Home users might not need redundancy but they definitely need backup, which basically means keeping separate copies of data in multiple places so that if something happens to one place you can turn to another. The more copies of data you have, the safer it is.

good luck!

Thanks for your reply, try a Synology NAS drive, there is no comparision on the quality is makes the WD MBL look like a toy.

Jezza67 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, try a Synology NAS drive, there is no comparision on the quality is makes the WD MBL look like a toy.

Mars quality from 3,000 years into the future is not going to change the tactual and factual definition of what a “backup” is.

Your data is your responsibility and no one else’s. Take care of it with multiple copies on multiple devices regardless of brand.

What an inane pointless reply, I never implied that the data was anybody’s responsibility but my own, but I do expect a little reliability from products that I buy.

Jezza67 wrote:

What an inane pointless reply, I never implied that the data was anybody’s responsibility but my own, but I do expect a little reliability from products that I buy.

Yet your answer to someone recommending you a real backup you answer this:

Jezza67 wrote:

Like if the brand _ somehow _ negates the recommendation of keeping a real backup.

No dude, you clearly implied that now that you have a much superior device that makes the other one look like a toy you could downplay the backup recommendations because there’s no need to worry about it that much anymore.

Again: Mars quality from 3000 years into the future is not going to change what a backup is. Your data is your responsibility, and you should never rely on a single drive no matter who makes or brand reputation.

Erm the Synology is a superior device.

And you spout nonsense, ‘Mars quality from 3000 years’ what an ■■■■■, I’m not surprised that no-one has click your kudos star.

If you work for WD and like to promote their products then that’s fine, but you’ve only got to look at the amount of posts on this forum to see what a piece of junk the MBL are!

So as I said your inane reply’s are of no consequence DUDE.

Dude in case you don’t understand the use of exaggerated sarcasm in order to highlight a point i’m actually trying to help you by making you realize brand is meaningless as all drives are going to fail with a case of when, not if.

Don’t trust any brand with your data. Not Seagate. Not Synology. Not LaCie. And if I’m telling you not to trust any brand that obviously includes WD.

Don’t make the mistake I and many others have made out of arrogance or brand fandom by believing any brand is less likely to fail than the next one. It’s your data dude. _ Take care of it _.

i don’t care you like Syn a million times better, just don’t leave your data alone in a single drive. Get a second Syn if you have to but KEEP A BACKUP. Calling out the devil is not the same as looking at it arrive. Trust me dude I’ve been there twice (Seagate first, then WD) and you don’t want to ever be there.

I think you took it personal but it was with no ill-intentions.