EXTREMELY slow performance when DLNA server is enabled

I’ve got a 3TB My Book Live, which I purchased a few months ago.  I’ve just picked up a new streaming box that will only play off DLNA servers (not network shares) so I had to enable the DLNA server on the drive, and ever since I did that (2 weeks ago?) it has been INSANELY slow.  File copy operations, which used to be slow over wifi but speedy enough if I connected an ethernet cable to my laptop, are now equally slow on wifi or ethernet.  

Upon SSHing into the drive and doing a quick top call, I can see that the dms_smm process is running at or near 100% CPU, all the time.  It just never stops.  

I don’t want to roll back to the old version of twonky from the old firmwares, since my video collection largely consists of MKV files, and I don’t want to have to pay $20 to put on a new version of twonky (and also, I’d prefer not to have to mess around with what’s installed in linux, what with firmware updates overwriting stuff and what have you).  

I’m not really sure what other options I have though.  Any suggestions for stopping dms_smm from going so insane all the time, yet still having DLNA capability that supports modern file formats?

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the unit back to factory defaults?

Yes, that was the first thing I tried.  And let me tell you, backing up the 570ish gb currently on the drive in order to reset back to factory defaults, and then copying it back, was not a fun experience.  

Hi,

Try contacting WD Support over the phone to see what other advices they can provide you.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=networking

Sorry my english…

yesterday I changed the dms_smm was minidlna on.

cpu usage:

10.0.0.2_cpu-day.png

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg