Drive no longer accessible

Hi,

I have searched and cannot find the same issue (or i’m rubbish at searching)

My drive has always worked perfectly, accessible through network folders on my laptop, tab, mobile etc… also my smart tv has always accessed my files no issue. The UI has also always worked fine.

My drive has for the past 6+ months been attached to a wifi router though it hasnt had access to the internet as its only used for my devices to access the drive through.

A couple of nights ago I tried to access the drive and none of my devices could access it through the normal wifi network, my tv also could not pick up the Twonky network. So I cut the power to it and rebooted the device, still no access. The drive is still working as you can hear the disk spinning, the green light at the front does not light up at all now though. also the Ethernet connection at the back flashes green ocassionally and has a constant orange light.

I left the drive on anyway in the hopes that it would start working ok again and when I came home from work yesterday the drive was being picked up by my smart tv but none of my other network devices. I was also able to access the UI interface, sign in to the drives settings page but it constantly refreshed so I could not use any of it’s functions.

Then the drive disaapeared again and Ive not been able to access it since.

Any ideas??

Apologies if I havent explained the issue very well.

Hi, if the power cycle didn’t work, you can also try pressing the reset button on the back for 4 seconds. This will not delete any of the files.

I have the same problem! When I power it on the light is blue, the drives spin up and then the light goes to a light yellowish and stays there I’ve tried the reset button many times, changed cables tried different pcs and all of the below items [via google] cant get to the drive with winscp or putty says “network error connection refused” wdlink reports “no network storage found” wd my net view reports "network device offline ! " network neighbourhood does not show the drive. lan scaner also doesnt see the mybooklive drive. Is it time to open it up and put it in my linux box to see if its recoverable? help please! Thanks in advance!

If you must get the data off the drive, it sound like taking the drive out will be your only option.

I believe that the Blue light is sleep or boot up. Then the solid Yellow is “initializing”. A blinking yellow is network cable unplugged.

If you have a solid yellow then the drive is stuck in initializing. There have been a couple people in the past with your same problem.

Your data is most likely still good, just the linux bootup is corrupted.

1 Like

Thank-you for the response! any chance you have the link handy… I will do some looking around inbetween…

Thanks again!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

You might be able to debrick it if the hard drive is ok. The guide also includes data recovery options.
You will void your warranty by pulling the drive out of the enclosure

1 Like

You will void your warranty by pulling the drive out of the enclosure!

If I send it in for warrenty repair they will not recover my data! so this looks like a good option to at least try!

Thank-you sir!

During the recovery process do I need to have a hd availible that can recover the full size of the mybl hd?

and or can it be done in steps…

also the renaming of folders seems daunting!

Thanks again…im working on grabbing the files in the links.

PlowRox wrote:

During the recovery process do I need to have a hd availible that can recover the full size of the mybl hd?

You can use the first debrick guide to JUST INSTALL the OS. It won’t touch the data of sda4 (your data partition)

If the debrick is successful then you will be back up and running with full access to your data after you recreate or rename your shares and recreate your users as stated in the guide.

If the debrick fails, you probably have a failing hard drive, and in that case you would need a hard drive large enough to copy all your data off your data partition to using Diskinternals Linux Reader or R-Linux.

Start with the debrick first, and if that doesn’t work try Diskinternals Linux Reader as your second choice to get your data off the drive. Use R-Linux as a last resort as it is a little more complex…

1 Like

Sorry for the delay…I was finally able to get the rescue CD to see the mblhd, even tho during bootup the bios detected it! The rescue CD gparted wouldn’t. Once I finally got there I ran your how-to by the letter! And it finished OK . Well here’s the problem .Its back to the same yellow light and wd My net view says its offline…I will shut off the entire system and press the reset button on the mblhd so it gets master, then turn on the other PC’s. Thank-you for the excellent how-to guide!

So I just wanna make sure I have this right. You debricked ok, the drive was working ok for awhile, then it went offline again?

Well the drive went thru the “debrick” process ok. But when I put the hd back into the mblhd assy and turned it on it went back to the original problem of the led being “yellow”. Also the device is is still not showing up as a network device. Even tho the my net view scan still says it see’s it but that its offline…Except that now after the complete power down reset…its not reporting the nas drive as not found… or offline its now listed under “your network” and with a different ip than the first time I attached it [b4 the reset/network reboot]

Any ideas on how to recover the data? if the interface isnt working?

Is it possible that just unplugging the mblhd “borked” the interface? seems a stretch… ive never had hardware fail on an unplug b4!

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader

1 Like

…Been out of town… I’ll give that a try! Thanks sir.

Thank you! I aquired the above software and was able to recover 99.9% of the files! seems ms anti virus liked to kill off some of them… oh well those were not the ones I was worried about! I am about to grab the files needed to reformat the hd and pop it back into the case…hopefully the i/o card isnt toast and the device comes back to life as the wdmbl nas it used to be…otherwise ill put the hd in my linux box and upgrade it to 2tb. Thanks again!

No problem, hope it works out :slight_smile:

PlowRox wrote:

Thank you! I aquired the above software and was able to recover 99.9% of the files! seems ms anti virus liked to kill off some of them… oh well those were not the ones I was worried about! I am about to grab the files needed to reformat the hd and pop it back into the case…hopefully the i/o card isnt toast and the device comes back to life as the wdmbl nas it used to be…otherwise ill put the hd in my linux box and upgrade it to 2tb. Thanks again!

• *That sounds like a good plan