Disable Remote Access

I would like to disable remote access to the MBL from outside my home network.  So I went to Settings/Remote Access and turned off the Remote Access checkbox. So far so good. To my surprise, after a few days, I opened up the WD My Cloud app from outside (on my iPhone using a cellular data connection) and I was able to browse the NAS! When I went back home, the Remote Access checkbox was enabled again.

Does a reboot or new firmware make the MBL forget that I had unchecked the box? How can I make the setting stick permanently?

More troubling…I went to my router (Linksys E2500) settings and turned *off* the uPNP feature on the router. I understand this is what enables the My Cloud app to go through my router from the Internet and set up automatic port forwards as neeed. I don’t like this so I turned this off. So, with this turned off, how in the world is the iOS My Cloud app able to access the NAS from outside the home network?! This is really scary. The router does’t show any ports forwarded, uPNP is turned off, so how is this possible?

vanj131 wrote:

I would like to disable remote access to the MBL from outside my home network.  So I went to Settings/Remote Access and turned off the Remote Access checkbox. So far so good. To my surprise, after a few days, I opened up the WD My Cloud app from outside (on my iPhone using a cellular data connection) and I was able to browse the NAS! When I went back home, the Remote Access checkbox was enabled again.

Does a reboot or new firmware make the MBL forget that I had unchecked the box? How can I make the setting stick permanently?

That doesn’t sound right, mine has never done that so either yours has a firmware issue or is messed up. Update the firmware, do a full factory reset (Erases data), then replace it if it’s still rogue. I think wd will want to scan it or something if so because this is a security problem.