Deleting files?

How would you delete files with long names? I’ve got a folder deleted but will not delete files with long names? Changed the names and still have 160 files it will not delete.

Also is there an easier way to delete BIG folders? Have one that is 45GB and it has taken almost 2 days and almost done.

That may be related to a WebDAV issue.

Try browsing the WebDAV FAQ to see if that applies.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-FAQ/td-p/463854

Good info!

But…

Ran through the checks and no Web in Network, it is using Windows Network.

I always use WinSCP and SSH in to delete folders with TONS of small files. You can delete a folder with 50,000 small files in under a minute. If you need more info on SSH and how to set it up you can use the search function or let me know. Just be sure not to delete a share you have created in the dashboard, delete the files or folders inside the share instead.

Trying it myself, I deleted a 20GB folder containing about 5000 files in about 10 seconds.

“Generally,” the actually size in terms of megabytes isn’t important, it’s the quantity of files.    How many is in this big folder?

Scaling for time, your folder would have to have about 90 million files in it.   :slight_smile:

To delete things with long names, you might need to descend into the containing folder.  Windows enforces both a PATH length and filename length maximum.    Presumably the file name lengths are fine or it would have been hard to create them in the first place.   So I’m assuming it’s a path-length issue encountered when trying to access a file from several folders deep.

I untared the MyNet AC1300 GPL source to the MBL datavolume the other day. Windows was taking forever to delete the files as there was 50,000 + if I remember correctly. SSH wiped em out within maybe 20 seconds. I think like you said it has to do with the amount of files and smaller files seem to make matters even worse.

Now that you mention path length, that was my issue. The GPL Source had a particular folder-path that kept going forever.

The amount of files was over 800,000 and IIRC it was deleting a 5 per second? Finally got done, seriously 2 days with PC on…