Data/Shares on MyBook Live not accessible

I have a 3TB Mybook live plugged into my router.

I created public shares and users as part of setup and things were working ok. The drive was accessible on PC/MAC and home ubuntu.

About 3 weeks back, the shares on my drive became inaccessible and started popping up an error “Share not accessible”.

Tried mounting the device on Ubuntu laptop separately and the error was “device/share name not found”.

Can FTP into the device, dashboard shows the shares, shows that I have utilized 192 GB and the users show up fine. Just cannot access any data at all.

Tried logging into SSH prompt, hoping that I can recover my data from raw drives, but cannot find any of the family photographs :frowning:

Has anyone encountered this and how to solve this one? Running out of ideas here. Do not want to resort to opening up the NAS and connecting over SATA.

thanks,

Manuj

Hello manujbawa, as a troubleshooting step, have you tried connecting the My Book Live Ethernet cable directly to the PC or pressing the reset button on the back? 

manujbawa wrote:

Tried mounting the device on Ubuntu laptop separately and the error was “device/share name not found”.

Try connecting via IP address instead of name.

It did not work

Tried the reset button and still the shares are not accessible.

Tried connecting directly to my PC (the IP address changed), Shares are shown, but not accessible.

The Dashboard shows that the specific shares are not utilizing any of the disk (0 MB against each share), but Settings – System shows 192 GB / 3 TB as usage.

When I connect over SSH to the drive, the /DataVolume still shows up as 7% utilized

/dev/sda4             2.8T  179G  2.6T   7% /DataVolume

it almost seems as if that the data still exists somewhere on the NAS, but the shares/folders links are all messed up.

Found that “Remote Access” was enabled on my NAS, have disabled it and tried connecting to NAS with local PC connection. Did not work again.

TonyPh12345: Tried Ubuntu/Windows connections with IP address.

The System Tray icon on Windows comes up fine and shows MBL status OK. Tried mapping the drive from the shares shown in the context menu of WD system Tray icon, and still shows up an error.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Manuj

manujbawa wrote:

It did not work

Tried the reset button and still the shares are not accessible.

Tried connecting directly to my PC (the IP address changed), Shares are shown, but not accessible.

The Dashboard shows that the specific shares are not utilizing any of the disk (0 MB against each share), but Settings – System shows 192 GB / 3 TB as usage.

When I connect over SSH to the drive, the /DataVolume still shows up as 7% utilized

/dev/sda4             2.8T  179G  2.6T   7% /DataVolume

it almost seems as if that the data still exists somewhere on the NAS, but the shares/folders links are all messed up.

Found that “Remote Access” was enabled on my NAS, have disabled it and tried connecting to NAS with local PC connection. Did not work again.

TonyPh12345: Tried Ubuntu/Windows connections with IP address.

The System Tray icon on Windows comes up fine and shows MBL status OK. Tried mapping the drive from the shares shown in the context menu of WD system Tray icon, and still shows up an error.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Manuj

May I ask if the problem surface after the new firmware update? I got the same issue here almost immediately after the firmware update. I turned off the DLNa and re-boot and now is ok, No harm try that but I don’t guarantee it’ll work for for you

I would recommend that you use the dashboard to reinstall the latest firmware. 

After that, i would check the permissions on the /shares/ or DataVolume/ directories.  Do this using SSH.  It should be user = admin and group =share .    If the permissons are something else, then use chmod to make them correct.

I cannot pinpoint exactly if that is what happened but that is the last change I remember that happened.

The firmware is upgraded to the latest.

Have a call setup with tech support this friday. will keep this thread updated.

Thanks,

Manuj