DLNA & TOWNKY - New

Hey Everybody,

Bought a month ago MY BOOK LIVE 3TB

1.I would like to know what is townky and DLNA and Diffrence between them ?

2.Can i play mkv or Avi Movies on my PS3 with MBL ?

3.after i update the firmware i saw that the tab of MYBOOKLIVE on my PS3 is gone, how can i put it back ?

4.im Trying to backup my pc by network and it all the time comes to 70 % and then fails (i have windows 8 pro)

Thanks A lot for the help

"My Book Live drives that have been upgraded to firmware version 02.41.05-034 offer the option to switch between two different DLNA servers:TwonkyMedia or WD Media Server. The benefit of upgrading to the newer WD Media Server is to gain full Windows 8 certification and to take advantage of WD’s app for Windows 8. The patches offers the choice of using either DLNA server, and the option to switch back to the other server by simply applying one of the patches. To read more information about this latest firmware, click on the link below. 

http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/My_Book_live_Release_Notes_FW02_41_05.pdf?v=4678

What backup program are you using to backup your files? It might help if you try doing a simple power cycle. If the problem continues, you may also try pressing the reset button on the back of the My Book Live for 4 seconds. 

how do I switch between WD DNLA and Twonky please.

secondly, if i shut down my mbl using dashboard, how do i put it back on from my pc?

optimisteve wrote:

how do I switch between WD DNLA and Twonky please.

secondly, if i shut down my mbl using dashboard, how do i put it back on from my pc?

Read the link Ichigo posted.  

To restart your MBL, you need to unplug the power and plug it back in.

Hello roij88,

1.I would like to know what is townky and DLNA and Diffrence between them ?

DLNA is a standard that more and more devices are using to communicate with each other. Twonky is a piece of software that acts as a media server. It is also DLNA compliant. This means that all of your other devices (eg. PS3, smart TV’s, AV Receivers, laptops, etc) that carry the DLNA logo, should be able to see the Twonky media server on your MBL.

2.Can i play mkv or Avi Movies on my PS3 with MBL ?

AVI’s, yes. MKV’s, not easily. The Playstation3 does not accept streaming .mkv files very well. This is a PS3 issue, not a MBL issue.

To get .mkv files stored on your MBL to stream to your PS3, you’re better off not using the MBL Twonky server and running PlayStation Media Server on a PC instead. Point the PlayStation Media Server at your MBL share, then point your PS3 at the PS Media Server on your PC. This means the PlayStation Media Server is taking the .mvk file from your MBL, then doing all of the thinking (transcoding) before sending the stream to your PS3 via DLNA. (Hope that made sense).

3.after i update the firmware i saw that the tab of MYBOOKLIVE on my PS3 is gone, how can i put it back ?

Simple. On your PS3’s XMB (Cross Media Bar), flick over to “Video” and hit “Search For Media Servers”. After a while, the MBL Twonky server should re-appear as normal. You shouldn’t have to do it again. The PlayStation Media Server will also appear if you’ve already got it running on a PC too.

4.im Trying to backup my pc by network and it all the time comes to 70 % and then fails (i have windows 8 pro)

Perhaps someone else can help you with that question. I think you’ll need to provide what program you are using, how you’re doing the backup and what error messages you receive.

Cheers,

Ocean.