Creating a Time Machine Share

I have stupidly deleted the time machine share on my 2TB MBL. How do I create a new one?

I have created a share but there is no way to format it from the UI and Time Machine cannot detect the partition/share.

Have you tried starting a new backup from time machine? As far as I know it should create a new share for the time machine backup.

I have tried to do a new backup. It is not detecting the drive or any shares on it when I am setting up the disk location for the backup.

I’ve done the same thing… and i think I am at same stage you describe… I’ve recreated the folder within the WD admin utility… so a folder named TimeMachineBackup exists but I cannot seem to recreate the share itself on my mac… and of course the share does not show up as an available time machine share in the time machine utility to select as being the destination folder for backups… did you learn anything on how to resolve yet ?? Please share if you have… thanks

You don’t need to format a share for Time Machine. It will take care of it all.

To set the Time Machine share -

From the UI: If you click on the share you created, that you want to use for Time Machine, look at the share details shown on the right. There should be an option for Time Machine Backup that can be set.

This sets what share is advertised to Time Machine as the backup share. I don’t think that the Time Machine program cares what the share name is. All it shows is “MyBookLive-backup”.

Whichever share has been set for time machine in the share details will end up being used for all time machine backups.

Chaos311 wrote:

You don’t need to format a share for Time Machine. It will take care of it all.

To set the Time Machine share -

From the UI: If you click on the share you created, that you want to use for Time Machine, look at the share details shown on the right. There should be an option for Time Machine Backup that can be set.

This sets what share is advertised to Time Machine as the backup share. I don’t think that the Time Machine program cares what the share name is. All it shows is “MyBookLive-backup”.

Whichever share has been set for time machine in the share details will end up being used for all time machine backups.

I see no option to set a share for Time Machine in the UI. I only see setting Media options but nothing for Time Machine. Running the latest firmware. 

My Bad. I pointed you to the wrong location.

It is under Settings, System.

At the bottom is Mac Backups. There is a drop down box that lets you choose the share from there.

1 Like