Copy Speeds on MY BOOK LIVE 2TB

I am having serious write speed issues on our MY BOOK LIVE 2TB. Just tried copying 24.6mb from one folder to another on the MY BOOK LIVE 2TB and it averaged between 150-200kb/s. Seems really slow. Firmware is up to date. Let me know what additional information you might need to help me out. Thanks!

This model only has the Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) port but im transfering data from one location on the drive to another location on the drive. The port shouldn’t matter should it?

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

Actually it should not matter since even though you might be doing this through a computer it should not go so slow. Have you tried a larger file transfer and see if you get the same speeds 

Well, sure, since the data is traveling via your computer…

This is on a network and I believe we have a router and a switch in between my computer and the My book live. Yes, same speeds for larger files. I need to look into updating the router firmware as I am not sure if it has been or not.

We have a buffalo NAS server that was retired but still hooked up to our server. It’s write and read speeds blow our MY Book live speeds to pieces. Tells me it’s not the router or switch. I have also tried switching out some of our cables with no luck. Thoughts?

Hi I know this is NOT an answer to your question but it might help in your understanding of the issues involved.

FYI - I am an OLDE TYME networking guy - going way back to the ARCnet & Novell Netware days (1980s) and using PC-DOS / MS-DOS at the command line.

Using Netware file servers, we had an alternative to the built-in DOS “COPY” command.  Whenever we needed to move lots of files (or a few big files) from one place to another - either on a single Netware file server or between different Netware file servers, we could use a special command called NCOPY (i.e. “network copy”).

Unlike the (“dumb”) DOS COPY command, which would involve all bytes in each file being sent across the network from the server to the PC and then back to the server again, the (“intelligent”) Netware NCOPY command would simply instruct the server to move the files from the source directory to the destination directory, and do the entire operation at the server.  When the copy was complete, success or failure would be signalled back to the person on the PC and that was the extent of the network traffic involved.  It was therefore very efficient, much faster, and aligns with your idea of what should be happening in your case.

Another thing that can be done, on a Linux or UNIX type machine or even on Microsoft Windows is to move a file or set of files from one place to another simply by renaming the folder (aka directory) that they are located in.  This does not result in a physical move of the files but re-registration of where the files are located in the file system hierarchy.  This is a special case and likely does not apply in your situation.

So, basically, you’re probably in the boat of doing the equivalent of a “dumb” COPY command, where all bytes come out of the drive, down to your PC, and then back up to the drive again.

Given this situation, I think you will have to examine the network infrastructure that exists between the drive and your PC.  In a home environment you’re probably both connected to the same switch.  In a business environment, there could be some distance (multiple devices between your drive & your PC).  Even though you have a Gigabit Ethernet port on the drive, you will be limited by the slowest connection between your PC & the drive.  If you’re your own administrator (i.e. home environment), you can probably fix things by replugging devices (i.e. make sure the drive is actually plugged into a Gigabit switch).

Lastly, I have found that switches can sometimes fail (become horribly slow).  You might want to do try some benchmarking (network speed tests) and swapping out different pieces if you suspect you have a bum piece of equipment (until you find the culprit).

The NCOPY would work great for server backups. Considering that I am using all the same hardware (cords and switches) and using our old server at speeds 10x faster then the myBook live tells me it’s a problem with the mybook live, not our PC’s or our hardware. No major changes have been made to the Mybook live since we got it and it was opperating much better at first. Only 1/4 of it’s storage capacity has been utilized. Thanks for the info.