Connect to iMac...How?

Hi everyone i am new to networking and this is probably a newbe queshtion.  

I have connected my WD Live drive via eathernet to my imac rather than the router due to it being faster to put files on it.  I acually prefer it plugged in to my iMac rather than the router, what was wondering as the iMac is connected to the WIFI is there any way I can get my Macbook air to connect to it exacly the same way as if it was connected to the router. So that I can upload files from the Macbook air.

Thanks any help would be apprecieated.

I just answered another post similar to it… No, as the manual specfies, you have to connect the MBL/NAS to a router.

And yes, there are other ways, but it is for advanced users only.

If you connect the MBL/NAS to the router, any wireless device conneted to it, will have access to it.

edited/added: Connecting directly will not necessary make it faster as well. My $02, connect both devices to router, at least  the first large transfer.

Hi thank you for your answer,  when I say I am a newbie I mean to this drive not tech.  I am a programmer and complex stuff does not phase me but can 100% tell you its faster to transfer direct with Ethernet that over the router, connecting both is not an option due the router being in another room. You have stated for advanced users only.

If anyone can tell me how to do this I would appreciate it as once pointed in the right direction I would get it done.

Thanks

What you are missing is how an NAS works. It requires an IP address within your network so it can be accessed. Having it directly connected to your iMac may be faster but it cannot route to each other.

VideoGeek wrote:

[I] can 100% tell you its faster to transfer direct with Ethernet that over the router

… then there’s something amiss with your router.

Hi

I understand what an IP address is and once connected to the router that all devices can see it as its part of the network but as the chap above said people with advanced skills can do it.

I am starting to think the answer is simple NO it cant be done. But for some reason this board seem to be making it really complicated to answer and pointing out the obvious.

What I asked was can it work connected to the iMac I did not ask how the NAS works having a lot of devices connected to my wifi I know how a network works.

Dont mean to sound rude but its simple queshion eather No or Yes and if yes how?

VideoGeek wrote:

[I] can 100% tell you its faster to transfer direct with Ethernet that over the router

… then there’s something amiss with your router.

Well not really if the router is in another room, walls do effect the speed of the connection and the walls are pretty beefy.   

VideoGeek wrote:

Well not really if the router is in another room, walls do effect the speed of the connection and the walls are pretty beefy.   

D’oh…  totally missed that point that you’re talking WiFi…  Sorry…

In order to connect it to another device besides a router the following has to happen, since an IP is required.

1st option:

Set up a DHCP servers on your laptop/desktop. Once you connect the MBL, it will get an IP.

Setback, since it is not connected to your router, all traffic from any other machines will go thru your laptop/desktop. It will also not show up via DNS since it will not register with the router. 

2nd: option: Static IPs for both, the NAS and the laptop/desktop. Simlilar setbacks to above, but a a bit difference since depending on the network selected, you might have to add routes to your router in order to talk to it from other devices

But I will say it again, for the first large transfer, wired both to the router and copy the files. Afterwards, even though wireless is slow, hopefully it will not be large amounts of data as the first time.