Connect WD MyBook Live 3TB NAS to my non-smart TV

Hi

I have a  WD MyBook Live 3TB NAS but would like to watch the movies on my non-smart Sony TV.  The TV was bought just as HD TVs made their appearance so it doesn’t have internet connectivity and all the other good things, but it does have the usual HDMI slots etc.  

I’m confused from what I read on the internet about dongles, NOW TV, etc. that makes your TV ‘smart’ but clearly not smart enough to also play my movies from my WD Mybook Live.  Ideal scenario is not to connect my PC to the TV, or play it from my phone or tablet.

Any advise and ideas on how I can connect my WD Mybook Live to my non-smart TV?

Don’t look at it as connecting MBL to the non-smart TV. If you really want that, you are out of luck.

Instead look for the following:

• Media players. If you want one that can play files from MBL, look for one that supports local content and/or DNLA

Some popular players… Roku, WD TV live, Chromecast

However, not all players support local content, do your homework depending on your needs.

Good luck!

Many thanks Shabuboy.  Media players it is.

I was in the same boat and oddly enough I purchased the WD TV Live media player. In my eyes it’s the best media player out there, it plays pretty much all formats. Liked it so much I bought two. I can’t recommend it enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TV-Live-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390037668&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+tv+live

Thanks Greggors, I’m sold.  Will be buying one (for now) soon.

Don’t wait too long. 

In the interim if you have a tablet with HDMI output you can use that. 

buy yourself a smart blueray player and u get to play blueray discs as well in the bargain :slight_smile:

the samsung 6500 is a great machine for making tv smart…it has the most apps of many of the other manufacturers and plays from livebook like a dream … cost around £99