Confused about users and accounts

Hi folks, I’ve just bought a WD MBL and I’m struggling a bit. I’m new to NAS and don’t use user accounts on my PC so I’m not wholey surprised I’m finding it confusing.

I have a main PC that has an ethernet cable to the router. I have a laptop, iphone and android tablet.

The users or accounts I want are:

Me access to everything :slight_smile:

My son, access to all photos and a movie folder that I’ve put everything except the 15 and 18 certificates.

A client that I do work for that I just want to give access to one folder and its contents not the shared folder with my photos in and stuff.

So I thought I should be ‘admin’ with a password. I don’t suppose my son needs a user as everyone can see the shared folder, as that right?

I’ll put a ‘share’ called NotForMySon or something with 15 and 18 cert movies in.

Another worry is will my client be able to access the whole public folder as well as his own that I’ve made?

I mean does that mean I shouldn’t use the public folder at all? Don’t the photos have to be in there?

Does it screw things up if I change that photos folder? I changed it to just Photos and I can’t seem to get the iPhone and Android to see everything properly again.

The android tablet is my son’s so I want that to need a password for the 15+ movies if possible.

The iPhone’s mine but I probably want the same on that too.

Also when I try to access anything but the public folder on my laptop it asks for user / password. Would that be ‘admin’ and the password for it? it doesn’t seem to work :frowning:

Any tips?

Hi, a simple way to look at things is that the Public folder will be available to anyone that has access to your home network, there is no option to limit access. If you need to limit access to specific files, you need to create a private folder and a user for the person that will access that information. To access the My Book Live from your iPhone and the Android tablet you can use the WD2go app. Check the links below for more information. 

Creating a new user

http://wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf#page=80

Creating a private share for a user

http://wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf#page=82

How to access files on a My Book Live using WD 2go on a mobile device